Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Let's Open A Can Of Worms!

Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I touched on this issue before... and was almost immediately shot down for even mentioning it, like it's a Taboo subject. However! I want to ask anyways, just because I was talking about this subject with my fellow Hyper Auto Club members.

Why does everyone refer to the '97-'01 Tiburons as "RD"???

RD is the manufacture code for for the Elantra.

The Correct manufacture code for the '97-01 Tiburon is: RC aka. "Rally Champion"

Because as we all know, the RC Tiburon was in fact the Rally Champion almost the whole time it was in the game, constantly beating out the Subaru WRX. It's Hyundai's fault for not marketing the car as a "Rally Champion."

So in connection to the above question: Who started calling it RD Tiburon and why? When there is nothing about the "RD" that is a Tiburon?

nana.gif Enjoy!!!

PS: Moderators - Don't chicken out of this subject by locking it, etc etc. I really want to know why.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

You are correct. The Tiburon is not an RD it is an RC. I remember it being brought up before. I think it was an error in the first place and by the time it was made known, the name was already established and the creators of the site didn't want to change the name.

It's unfortunate. Personally, I think someone should just bite the bullet and correct the name.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:09 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Rider's Delight.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I know I've read before in an official Hyundai article that it was, "Race Design", not rider's delight. Elantra is not RD.

it was never RC. The only RC is the code name for what is being designed now for the rally program for 2008. hyundai were not at fault for marketing the car as rally champion where absolutely nobody in america knows what rallying is.. they were at fault for was not making the Hyundai Coupe F2 Evolution four wheel drive. it was only 35 horsepower away from having the same power as WRC category and they certainly could have made it a stunning World Rally Car like Toyota did the legendary GT-4 Celica. someone should have slapped them silly for not doing that!!!!! mad.gif
Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

If I told someone I drove an RC2 Tiburon, people would think I was talking about a remote control Tiburon! And if they saw the size of our stock antenna, they might actually think it really was a remote control car! RD is much better - Race Design or Rider's Delight, either one is fine.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Closing anyways. It's been fully discussed. The frame is the same as the Elantra in Korea and they had the same RC code over there. When the 1st Gen came over they renamed the frame used on it to RD to seperate the SPORTY Tiburon from the Econobox/Family Elantra.