Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

I Must Say Goodbye

Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havn't been active on this forum for a while because of a very serious reason:

On september 20th 2009, 5 months ago, I totaled my RD2.

I was on my way to a car show with my friend mike (whom has a gk tib) and his friend frank (whom has the new camaro)
On a NJ highway I take the lead in the middle lane, doing approx 50 mph, speed limit was 45. My friend with the GK
goes to the right lane, then to the right shoulder, drives on the shoulder with frank behind him, passing all the cars to catch up and pass me.
Well, mike sees me in the middle lane and gave enough distance to get in front of me. Frank on the other hand didnt.
Frank was coming at me so fast and we would have collided (the back half of his car was inches from the front half of my car).
I naturally veered to the left to avoid the collision. It was only a few seconds before my near slick tires and quick "jutting" created a loss of traction
and my car crossed the left lane, and hit the guard rail head on. The car and I spun three times along the shoulder until I stopped.

Frank admitted complete guilt to the officers that arrived on the scene. The officers failed to include his statement in the police report, and
then proceeded to give me a ticket for careless driving.

My tiburon was my baby. I inherited the car from my grandfather when he passed away.
My 2000 tib had 29,3XX miles at the time on the accident. The insurance totalled out the car for 5,600 which mostly was from the low mileage.

Here is a picture of my baby on the tow truck. I do not have it anymore.

I now have a 2002 Celica GT in red
I like it a lot but would trade it for MY tib if i could
Old 02-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Wow sorry to hear that. I didn't get to know you very well but I wish the best of luck to you. It's always hard to lose a car, especially if it has some sentimental value to it.

Good luck and hope you don't leave permanently.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

sorry to hear man...

main thing that you where not hurt
Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 AM

thanks guys. And i guess. I was surprised that a head on collision at 50MPH didnt set off the air bags
Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

wow - surprised at airbags, that looks bad. Glad you're okay, and surprised you got that much money for it.

I would rather have the car. Sorry to hear about this.

Driving on the shoulder to pass cars is stupid. Been there done that, regret it fully.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 AM

I was surprised that the air bags didnt deploy but I was perfectly fine even after spinning on the shoulder
Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM

Sad to hear. There are lessons to be learned. I don't understand why the cop charged YOU with careless driving, though. It would seem that it would better suit Frank.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

That should be an easy ticket to fight. I fought one similar, and the judge asked the officer, "Did you see the accident? Well, since the young man is the only one here who saw what happened, I guess I have to take his word for it."
Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 PM

i was going to fight it but it happen in new jersey, where cops are all d*cks, and I live in Staten island. My court date was on the day I had a final. I called up to see if they could postpone but they refused to. I just paid the ticket.

And yes, it should have gone to frank but the officers did not include him in the report. The officer didn't even mention a second car. But frank did talk to the insurance company since I informed them that he had admitted guilt. So instead of 100% liability on me, the insurance deemed it 70% on me and 30% on him. That only makes my insurance go up a bit less.