Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How China Treats Drug Addiction

Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Red Tib
Default How China Treats Drug Addiction

FU LIXIN, emotionally exhausted from caring for her sick mother, needed a little pick-me-up. A friend offered her a “special cigarette” – one laced with methamphetamine – and she happily inhaled. The next day, three policemen showed up at her door. “They asked me to urinate in a cup,” Fu said. “My friend had been arrested and turned me in. It was a drug test. I failed on the spot.”

Although she said it was her first time smoking the drug,
Fu, 41, was sent to one of China’s compulsory drug rehabilitation centers. The minimum stay is two years, and life is an unremitting gauntlet of physical abuse and forced labour without any drug treatment, according to former inmates and substance abuse professionals. “It was a hell I’m still trying to recover from,” she said.

According to the United Nations, up to half a million Chinese citizens are held at these centers at any given time. Detentions are meted out by the police without trial.

Now international human rights activists are stepping up opposition to these centers.

Created in 2008 as part of a reform effort to grapple with the country’s growing narcotics problem, the centers have become de facto penal colonies where inmates are sent to factories and farms, fed substandard food and denied basic medical care, lawyers and drugs, experts have claimed.

“They call them detoxification centers, but everyone knows that detox takes a few days, not two years,” said Joseph Amon, an epidemiologist with Human Rights Watch in New York. “The basic concept is inhumane and flawed.”

http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/how-chi...drug-addiction/

blink.gif
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That's pretty extreme, but on the other hand I'll bet it works.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Thats brutal!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Accent

Western rehab doesn't seem to work to well in my eyes. I know a few people who had minor addictions and walked away from rehab "cured" but sooo many people relapse a month or so after their rehab.

I wonder what China's success rates are.