Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Has anyone ever installed a patio with paver stones?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tibby
Default Has anyone ever installed a patio with paver stones?

I have a 12'x12' area in my back yard where I want to install some bricks and turn it into a little mini patio. I believe they're called paver stones? has anyone ever done this? How hard is it? I have literally zero skills when it comes to this stuff and I dont really know anyone who does this kind of stuff either. I went to home depot and found the bricks I can use. Pretty expensive (around $3 for a 12"x12" stone).

Square footage is width x height right? So my square footage would be 144? That also means that if its $3 for a single brick, I would take $3 x 144 which equals $432 for enough tiles to do the 12x12 section?

Pretty expensive for something I dont really want to spend too much on. This is just going to be an area where I can put my grill and maybe a small little table with 2 chairs.

More questions

1. Do I have to dig up the grass or can I just place the bricks on top of everything?

2. Should I pour some weed and grass killer all over the area so it doesnt grow in between the bricks?

3. Will the bricks sing into the ground after being on them for awhile or will they stay put?

Sorry for the dumb questions but like I said I'm pretty clueless. I did a search on google and there were a ton of different articles talking about it but it just seems like you have to be a professional in doing this stuff. I'm hoping someone here is a n00b with this stuff and has done and might be able to share some of their knowledge of the project with me. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

$4 x 12 x 12 - $432 is correct.

1. You need to make the surface you're placing them on perfectly level or they will tilt and look like $hit. A base layer of compacted sand would be best.

2. Weed/grass killer would be a good idea so #1 doesn't happen.

3. See #1 and #2.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

getting a level base isn't the problem. Getting a level top IS. It is an art to get a patio made of individual pavers to be level all the way across, which is why you will PAY to have it done by a pro. Google will probably yield instructions.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Or ask at your local Home Depot/Lowes/ETC...