Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Got In A Fender Bender

Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 hyundai tiburon

alright going to importfest in toronto last night i bumped someone a little. heres the situation.

we were in a 2 lane road and one lane you have to turn left and the other you have to turn right. well the woman in front of me starts to turn right, and then i start to release the clutch never even began to touch my gas yet, i look left just to see if someone was comming from that direction, which there wasnt. then all of a sudden i feel a small jolt. i look forward and there was my car right on her rear bumper. first thing that came to mind was "IM f***ED".

so i turn off the car and get out to see if shes alright. she gets out of the car grabbing her stomach saying "that was a big hit!". and i thaught in my mind how the hell can you call being hit at 3 KMH a big hit. so i look at the 2 cars and there wasnt even as much as a scratch, and never even bent my liscence plate. so i say to her "lets exchange insurance information". and then she tells me that she doesnt want to exchange insurance information, and that she was dead set on not calling the cops. so she tells me to write my name and number on a sheet of paper.(which leads me to believe that she doesnt have insurance because who doesnt want to exchange insurance information and why would she be so persistant about not calling the cops. or that she does have insurance but is trying to scam me and get me to give her money.)

and now heres when i get stupid. i wrote a wrong numer and name. so after she left i started thinking to myself what did i do. i really regret not giving her the right information. and she never gave me her phone number or anything so i cant get ahold of her to give her the right information. and everytime i see a cop car now i get nervous.

now i do not condone this at all, i feel like a huge douchebag. and because i was so nervous, scared, and not thinking straight i acted irrisponsibly.

and i have a question. i know nothing is going to come from the little 3 KMH bump, but what kinda trouble can i get into for giving false information just in case she does call the police and give my liscence plate and tell them what happened.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger

she said she didnt want to exchange insurance info, so i woulda done the same thing. smells like a sacm on her part.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I would have been weary that she'd ask for your name and phone number instead and refuse insurance information. I would not be worried at all. There's no damage to show anything ever occurred.

I'd forget about it.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM

but do you see where im comming from. i cant get a criminal record. and if my parents find out im off there insurance and then i wont be able to afford to drive my car.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

if it would make you feel better contact your local police station and tell them what happened. make sure you get the officer's name and badge number in case this goes sour you can at least give this information to the other officer to show you were at least trying.

like other people said, i wouldn't sweat it just because she didnt want to give her info.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I would have done the same thing in your situation, depending on the demeanor of the other driver. She was acting suspicious and possibly would have contacted you later only to demand compensation or legal action. Someone who refused to swap insurance information should throw a red flag.

I would say you acted in a defensive manor. I wouldn't worry about contacting anybody.

1. It's your word against hers
2. IF she found you and pressed charges, there's no proof that any accident occurred. It'd be like me calling the police and saying my next door neighbor broke into my house when nothing's missing and there's no sign of forced entry (or my neighbor ever being in my house).
3. Did she walk to the rear of your vehicle and write down the license plate number? If not, there's no way she can say definitively that it was you. The most she COULD do is say, "Some young guy in a silver Honda hit me. I don't have his name, number, insurance info, contact info, and I don't know what model it was, but it was a Honda because I saw the H "
Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

No damage = No proof. Dont sweat it man.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

if you dont call the cops on the spot and get a report then there is nothing either party can do. there is no proof of either of you ever being there. especially if there is no damage. i can see where you feel bad but i wouldnt sweat it because the woman WAS hiding something so in all reality she is probably more of a criminal then you are.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 PM

thanks everyone. she never wrote my plate down unless afterwards she looked at it when she was pulling away. when she got out she started grabbing her exhaust pipe and i told her "i wouldnt grab that if i were you" and she replied "oh great now theres water comming out of my exhaust." theres no way that a rear end fender bender could cause that.

but ya now i feel better guys thanks alot. i felt like i had such a heavy conscience but now reading what majiktib had said maybe i didnt have a clouded judgement. maybe i was acting defensivly. but since this situation ive been driving a hell of a lot more responsibly. when we were heading to toronto last night my freind jeff was like "your driving like a grandma" and i look down at me speedo and i was only doing 110, on a highway that the majority are doing 130 at the least.

thanks alot everyone, i feel like some weights been lifted.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I probably would have called the cops right then and there. If she's that dead set on not calling the cops, there's something phony on her end that should get taken care of. And if she didn't want to swap insurance info, then I would guess she didn't even have insurance...
But since none of that happened, you're completely good to go. You think that if she was so dead set on not calling the cops then that she would want to do it now and try to track you down?? I didn't think so...