Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Get it while you can!

Old 03-28-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get it while you can!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...nm/tech_sony_dc

"Sony Corp. (6758.T) said on Monday it was ordered by a U.S. court to halt sales of its blockbuster PlayStation consoles in the United States and pay $90 million in damages to a California tech company, Immersion Corp. , whose shares jumped more then 5 percent."
Old 03-28-2005, 09:17 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

and has anyone ever heard of Immersion? I haven't. sounds like a company is trying to make a fast buck at Sony's expense.

does that mean Immersion is gonna sue Microsoft because the XBox controller "vibrates in sync with actions in games" as well?

ghey
Old 03-28-2005, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Sparticus)
does that mean Immersion is gonna sue Microsoft because the XBox controller "vibrates in sync with actions in games" as well?

Nope, they already hit Microsoft... thats why their now suing Playstation eyeroll.gif

Click me for proof
Old 03-28-2005, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

dang guys, thats why patents are there! what would you be thinking if you were the little guy, immersion, and microsoft stole your invention? apprently it's more complicated than just vibrating because there would have been issues waaay back with n64. must be the way in which the vibrations are created....
Old 03-28-2005, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

All it is is uneven weights being spun around. I have a clear blue Dual-Shock controller and It has 3/4 of a wieght in the handles. I'm pretty sure that's how she works but how fast and all that I have no clue.

I say good for the little guy.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:30 PM

Well...whoever thought up the idea of vibration couldn't have been them...I mean pagers had them way before...and like what's his face above ^^ said...it just a small motor with a small weight on one side, and it spins fast enough to cause the motor to "vibrate".
Old 03-28-2005, 07:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, actually, didnt Microsoft have a joystick that had off of this? "Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro". It vibrated & kicked back & had resistance. Not that I am supporting Microsoft or other big companies over small... its just that these products were out before.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (silvertibbs)
All it is is uneven weights being spun around. I have a clear blue Dual-Shock controller and It has 3/4 of a wieght in the handles. I'm pretty sure that's how she works but how fast and all that I have no clue.

I say good for the little guy.

thats what i'm saying just a change to that even if it be a small one is repatentable. something as small as how the weights are designed could be patented.

anyways in this situation it doesn't effect us at all and microsoft and sony were probably expecting it. sometimes for them it's easier to pay after the fact (a week of selling ps2's and games will surely pay for it) than to worry about it before.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 PM

I'm convinced that this is the easiest way to make money. File a bunch of patents that get buried over the years, wait for someone else to come up with something similar, keep waiting while they do all the work, and then sue them. It certainly seem to happen pretty regularly. Anyone remember the dozens of URL lawsuits?