Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Do You "hide" Your Plates In Pictures?

Old 07-26-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After browsing a bunch of the pics we post of our tibs, I started thinking about people covering their liscence numbers when posting their pics.

Sometimes people blur the letters, or scribble them out, or even remove them with Photoshop.

The more I thought about this, the more I thought: Why?

What is the point in doing this? Sure, one might say that info can be gathered from seeing your plate; but several hundred people *per day* see your plate on your car. And that's in real life.

Do those who hide the plate in pics also cover their plate with mud when they drive around? lol Perhaps a paper bag? jk

I just don't see what the big deal is. Especially when you consider hundreds of people see the plate and all it's lettering in person each day - and they are actually in your local area and have even greater access to the info and your car. Us folks on the web have no idea where you like to shop, what way you take home from work, or what street you live on. Why hide it from us if you show it to so many others?

It almost seems like you'd want to do exactly the opposite, since the people on the forums aren't actually near you or your car.

*confused*
Old 07-26-2005, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I noticed the same thing, and have always thought it was stupid.
I've never covered my plates.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

its like your social

you know that it can be found somewhere

but yet you try not to tell everyone it

plus if you came in here and said you nitroused the hell out of your car then your motor blew warranty people can actually deny your claim for a motor

it happened to the mitsu guys
Old 07-26-2005, 11:19 AM

i hide mine. you just never know. i don't want weirdos finding information about me that they don't need to know. lmao.gif
Old 07-26-2005, 11:22 AM

personally some times i do sometimes i dont. Really i dont care. If ppl wanna find something out about me then they can have at it. Its going to happen one way or another!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:39 AM

I do it just as a sort or service to others. For example lets say someone off the forums just got some TV's or some other equipment on there car. Well someone off these very forums may live in that area and use that number as a means to track or follow them. Its a one of a kind number so its like an ID that people can use to mark your car. Thats why i try to keep the exterior simple
Old 07-26-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Sometimes. dunno.gif

But I don't have a plate on the front so it's rare if I do it.

I need to take more pics sometime.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:07 PM

Pretty much what 98tibbyfx said. Sure a billion see your plate, but do they know every detail of your car? Probably not, but we do! Plus if you were going to steal a car and strip the parts...wouldn't you be better off traveling out of state to do it? Stealing a car in your home town is stupid.

But you post pictures and I know where you live, what you have in the car, and now your license plate number.

I remember once on an RX7 message board a guy with a badass FD posted pictures of his car and a very impressive mod list for everyone to admire. Less than a week later his car was gone. His parts ended up showing up all over eBay and even the same forum he was a member of. Turns out it was stolen by another member who eventually got caught, but by the time they found the car it was completely stripped and most of the parts were all over the country. 02.gif
Old 07-26-2005, 12:26 PM

I used to at the very begining, but now I don't. If someone wants your car or something in it that bad, they will do whatever it takes to get it. Yeah hiding it could be a deterant for some people.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:39 PM

See...there's a difference between the hundreds of people in RL that see your license plate, versus people on a car forum. See...not everyone one the road knows what's under your hood...versus displaying pictures of your engine bay and your $2k Garrett turbo in, your $2k Haltech E11v2 in your cabin, and the $4k you spent on building your block...on a online car forum.

At least people on a car forum would have a reason to obtain your information, track you down, and steal your car for the parts. People on the road who see a stock exterior shrug it off. Hence why I would never trust anyone online.