Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Coming Up On 9/11

Old 08-19-2006, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I found this posted on another site and feel it is a good reminder of that day. This is a video/audio of about three guys trapped in an office on the 105th floor of tower 2. This is the reason we are still fighting...

Tower Collapse 911 call.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Here's the original thread on HP when it happened:

Click Here

Tried top find a similiar thread on HA, but didnt see anything. Then again, I only did a real basic search. tongue.gif I'll look more in detail later....
Old 08-19-2006, 12:20 PM

I remember exactly what I was doing. Just started editing educational films for the day when my boss called me down to watch the Television. I watched the second plane hit live. We then spent the rest of the day trying to get in touch with and help get out of the city our co-workers who were up there for a meeting and did not know how to leave the city without driving.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I was in my Gr. 11 English class. The school made an announcement, and one of the girls in my class left the room crying because her uncle worked in Tower 2. I skipped the rest of the day with my buddy's girlfriend (Oddly enough she has an RD2, same colour as mine) to watch the news at her house. We both watched the 2nd plane hit.

Keep in mind the school that I went to is in Burlington, Ontario, Canada. It was felt across the continent, not just in the U.S.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yep... right before going to school the first plane hit. The towers fell during 1st period class. Then there was just an odd silence in the halls for the rest of the school day.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:15 PM

I remember. When it first happened I was in concert band (3rd period) and some of the kids were getting ready to go down to the world trade center for a college fair when one of the teachers came in not knowing what really happened and made a comment as though a small propeller plane had hit the the world trade center. After that class was when the 2nd plane hit and we finaly found out from out teachers what had happened. The rest of the day was spent with either kids getting taken out of school, calling there families to find out if loved ones were ok (im only and hour commute to manhatten) or discussing what happened with the teachers. There was a very dark feeling through out my entire school the rest of that week.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:04 PM

Ill never forget it. When I first heard I was in German class junior year in high school. I could not believe it and nor could anyone else at school. I got home and my dad, my mom, and I watched the news on tv and saw the planes hit. An hour later my dad and I went to this small bridge a few blocks from my house and saw both the towers on fire (where I used to live, i was only 20 mi from nyc). It was crazy and upsetting. I couldnt believe it..I was only happy I got to visit it at least once before it all was over. When it happened I printed out the news article where it showed the planes just hitting the towers..I still have it today.

It was a horrible thing..and it impacted a lot of people in my community because it happened so close to home.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I remember well what I was doing. I was at home and my wife called to tell me a plane hit the tower. I said yeah, the empire state building was hit years ago it is no big deal. Then I turned the news on and saw the horror. Around 1600 I went into work and we were all in panic/ fast paced work mode. I believe that situation changed life in the military for ever.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Yes it's horrible what happened. I remember very clearly..it was 1st block..freshman health class in high school. Like the third day of school. I heard it and thought the same thing java did, that it wasn't going to be a big deal. Until my teacher turned the TV on..

Anyway, about that video, I don't think that it's real. Maybe the phone conversation was, but the background editing wasn't. The background was a 5sec loop that was replayed through the whole thing until the last 15 seconds.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:12 PM

QUOTE (Rixshark @ Aug 19 2006, 10:30 PM)
I was in my Gr. 11 English class.

Hah, I was in Grade 12 English. A lot of kids I went to school with had parents that worked in the city, near there. A lot of people knew someone or had loved ones that died.

There's so many memorials everywhere on Long Island. Even the makeshift ones from that day are still around. From spray painted signs along the LIE to smaller ones in every single township.

One of the eeriest things I remember was driving down the LIE towards Manhattan the day after it happened, and the electronic signs all said "Avoid downtown Manhattan". Normally they say wear your seatbelt or something mundane like that...

I was right near the WTC exactly a week before it happened. Me and my ex were just wandering around aimlessly, watching the skaters down by town hall, wandering through China Town. We got lost looking for his friends school

I returned about a week after the attacks. The images of all the faces on the missing posters and all the candles everywhere, and all the faces of the people, walking around like drones, that will all stay with me forever. In Union Square there were hippies with acoustic guitars and people crying and shouting. It was completely unreal. The entire city seemed to be papered with the faces of the lost, people looking for their loved ones. All you could do was just cry. I will never forget that night. It was numbing, chilling.

My dad lives closer to the city than I did....he could see the smoke from there.