Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Clint Eastwood at the GOP

Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Clint Eastwood at the GOP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTucyyBRMHY

What do you think of Clint's speech last night in Tampa? I thought it was like watching a Dirty Harry film, classic! The media and a lot of people are going into hysteria taking swings at him but I think he did something totally creative and far more effective than anything scripted. I am tired of hearing all these political drones that probably won't make it past his age. I'm all for some real men voicing their concerns.

Am I missing something here, especially in a State that subsidizes taxes for retirees? What else did they expect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL2la06bUns
Old 08-31-2012, 03:13 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I want to take his voice out for dinner
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^
Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I felt embarrassed for him. I felt the same way when I watched Rodney Dangerfield on the Jay Leno show about 2 months before he died. Both of them were seemingly confused and sometimes incoherent. I don't know why these celebrities see the need to stay in the public eye. I wanted to remember Clint as Dirty Harry, not as a rambling old man. I wanted to remember Rodney Dangerfield as the guy that "can't get no respect", not as an old man who Jay had to feed lines to. Just retire to some ranch somewhere already.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM

I want to take his voice out for dinner

Unfortunately that might have worked in the 1800's when women needed shelter, food, and a warm stove. But in 2012 you only need to be a brah.

I don't see what the big deal is about and what was so incoherent about it. It was funny and impromptu. If all of the testimonials before and after were scripted, why would they need one more man (especially a great icon) to repeat and rehash what everyone else said?

I wanted to remember Clint as Dirty Harry, not as a rambling old man.

Dirty Harry was about taking matters into your own hands and bypassing/defeating bureaucracy. Pale Rider, Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, and the Dollars Trilogy are all founded on the principle of defeating injustice and overblown encroaching government by uniting together. Hell, the American west was founded on the principle that it was free and far away from the city (hence the "wild west"). I believe that was also Clint's message in this speech.

Are we supposed to condemn old age, wisdom, and some harmless laughter in this country, or praise and appreciate it as well as the longevity of life? It's a dark thought to know that once you hit 80 in America, you're the only joke confined within a government that is too far in debt to support you financially and socially.

It was only a convention (a rally) after all and they're blowing it up. After all, it wasn't like Eastwood introduced Romney.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

My statements had nothing to do with politics, yet you somehow twisted it to suit your conservative message. Typical.

Oh, and Dirty Harry was about entertainment. He's a fictional character.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Hey so are most politicians! :rimshot:
Old 09-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Originally Posted by Stocker
Hey so are most politicians! :rimshot:
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 AM

Both of them were seemingly confused and sometimes incoherent.

Most old people seemingly are, unfortunately. That doesn't give them any less right to be pushed away from society.

My statements had nothing to do with politics

Then I will too respond to your statement excluding politics: I mentioned that I do not understand what was the big deal. He made a few jokes that some thought were not funny (jokes are never meant to explain anything, they are meant to enlighten the situation).

So you felt embarrassed for him because he's old (whether at a convention, on Jay Leno, or at the Academy Awards) and he shouldn't be on national television anymore because of his declining mental condition and his "lackluster" speech?

I think the problem here is that nobody here can encompass how it feels until we ourselves turn 80, start losin' it and people start treating us the same way. I do not blame him for still wanting to remain politically active.

Oh, and Dirty Harry was about entertainment. He's a fictional character.

I wouldn't say that, you're looking at it from 2012. Not in the 1971 where police weren't as organized as today. An even today cops, U.S. Marshalls, CIA, or the military DO take matters into their own hands and the boundaries of law sometimes do not apply (Pvt. Manning is detained b/c he proved that U.S. Soldiers were using a helicopter to shoot Afghan civilians, and he's the bad guy?) These are the stories you don't hear.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Again, you're missing the point... They put him up on stage because he's a (rare) conservative celebrity. They wanted people to see Dirty Harry on their side. They should have thought it through. The guy's 82 years old, he's not Dirty Harry any more. You say "some people" didn't think the jokes were funny. Listen to the laughter, it's not genuine. It's sounds like the whole place was forcing the laugh nervously. Look at Mitt's face during Clint's speech. It looks like he ate a bad burrito.

Nobody is pushing anyone from society. I'm only suggesting putting common sense ahead of making a point with a political stunt. At some point in all of our lives, we'll reach a point where there are some things we just shouldn't do any more. When your mental faculties begin to wane, perhaps public speaking should be one of those things you just don't do any more. If I lose my sight, I'm not going to call it discrimination when the State takes away my driver's license.