Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Christmas Or Holiday?

Old 12-11-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's been a lot of controversy concerning changing the names for items intended for Christmas to be renamed Holiday. For example, some bussiness are chaning the title of Christmas Trees to Holiday Trees. It seems like someone (or some bussiness) got this idea in their heads and are trying to change things for one reason or another. What do you guys think about this?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:32 PM

It's completely dumb, BUT, covers the asses of companies... As far as I know, (and I don't know much about the other holidays besides Xmas), nobody else decorates a tree, therefore it wouldn't make sense to say that this tree celebrates chanukah too... We might as well start saying that the Menorah celebrates Xmas too... BUT, for companies that decorate with trees every year, making this change would technically save their butts from non-Christians causing an uproar...

may not be the correct answer, just my opinion.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

more people need to listen to foamy the squirrel.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

yea, crap like this is pissing me off....

it's a farkin CHRISTMAS TREE.... should the Menorah be called a "Holiday Candle Holder"??

ugh. this whole PC shit irritates the fvck outta me

blowup.gif
Old 12-11-2005, 04:38 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Who cares..

It's still the same Christmas Holiday no matter what you call it.
smile.gif
Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 PM

I see this as a way for companies to make more money. If you take the religous aspect totally away from Christmas, it allows different people who would not normally celebrate it, to give it a try.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:57 PM

Seems like everyone's got it out for Christians nowadays.

Like a poster above said...if we have to call it a holiday tree, that better be a holiday dradle I see you spinning, and ramadan? pfft...that's a holiday fasting.

Pretty soon, all of religion is going to be gone, just because it upsets those who aren't part of it. Boo hoo!

If the word "christmas" upsets you, you've got issues. No one forces anyone to celibrate it.

The US is a Christian nation. It was founded on Christianity, and Christianity is the prevailing religion in this country. Everyone who's here knows that, and everyone who's coming does too. If you don't like the religion of a place you're going, you might want to consider that before you get there.

Nothing but hipocracy. It's a long the same lines of gay pride day, and gay marches. Throw a straight pride march, and just watch people protest and throw a fit.

It's OK for the minority group to celibrate whatever they want and call it by whatever they want, but when the majority does it, it's wrong? That's backwards my friends.

I'll continue putting up my christmas tree regardless of how awful the minority thinks of it, and I will never call it by any other name.

No one can argue for Christmas getting a name changed unless theyre willing to change the names of their own religous holidays.

ahh..enough..people make me sick....
Old 12-11-2005, 11:03 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

actually, alot of non-Christians disagree w/ the "holiday tree" stuff.

you can't generalize terms for everyone when these terms are specific to a religion. its ubsurd
Old 12-11-2005, 11:05 PM

To me it's still a Christmas tree. fing02.gif
I can't speak for everyone though.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:35 PM

Vehicle: Honda

I could careless, if you call it Christmas or Holiday I really don't get upset because someone doesn't want to call it a Christmas tree. That's vacuous.