Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Buying Xbox 360

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

I'm treating myself to a 360 in a day or two and I just wanted to hear from people that already have it. I know there are at least 3 versions of it:
XBOX 360 Arcade Console - $279.99
XBOX 360 Elite - $449.99
XBOX 360 Pro Console - $349.99

I don't have an HDTV yet but I plan to get one by christmas. My current tv supports component and normal A/V jacks. The only games I'm thinking about buying are Forza 2, Halo 3, and Call of Duty 4. I want to play all of them online.

Do I need to buy a separate xbox live membership or do they come with the xbox?

So I'm really looking for any opinions on what you guys think I should do.
Thanks, Jay.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:57 AM

I'm on my 3rd xbox, just make sure you keep the receipt or you're sol w/ the warranty! Forza comes w/ the xbox and ultimate alliance as well, and you get a free 3month trial on live so I'd hold off on buying a live membership for a bit. Enjoy fing02.gif
Old 05-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

If you are getting one, and a HDTV, make SURE you get a pro model with HDMI.

To make sure, and to get a few free games, you can pick up a nice package leftover from Christmas (I picked one up 2 months ago), with Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza Motorsport 2 included in it. Circuit City had them, and I bought it online with free shipping, got to me in 3 days.

Get that for sure, no matter WHAT anyone says, HDMI is the most awesome connection setup EVER. 1080P, and video/audio connections all in one cable, kicks ass and makes for easy setup.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

go for the pro console, and elite if you plan on using alot of HD space.

if you can find a xbox package that is as cheap as pro with HDMI, go for it, otherwise the components for an HD tv are fine.. you wont be able to tell the difference from using components for your HD tv or using the HDMI cable.

i have the regular xbox pro with components and its crisp as hell. ive played an xbox with HDMI cable and it looks exactly the same. only thing that would make the elite worth it is the extra hard drive space if you plan on downloading a ton of movies, demos, tv shows, etc.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

If you are going to go online with it you will want a wireless adapter for it, unless you will have it close enough to where it can be plugged in by wire.

You will go through a lot of batteries unless you:
A) Buy a rechargeable pack for it
B) keep it plugged in through the charging cord all the time
Old 05-05-2008, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

The pro one is looking good right now. Thanks for the info.

Alright, I have a PC which is running a wireless router to my laptop. Is it possible to hook up an ethernet connection from my laptop to the xbox?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:01 PM

95% of the pro's out there for sale now have the HDMI output, you can verify it by looking on the box, it IS listed.

Trust me, on a 1080P TV, you CAN tell the difference between the inputs. On a DLP or poorer quality TV, maybe not, but the HDMI is amazing.

Majiktib hooked me up with a site that has cables for dirt cheap, hit him up and get your HDMI cables there.

Also, stay away from the damned wireless if you can, I've had both, and wired is 100X better.

This is the one you are looking for.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7934351

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-Premium-Conso...0QQcmdZViewItem
^^^
In stock.

I've found a few other places that still have it, but don't have the games listed, so you may not get that exact setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...1198&sr=1-4

Anyways, good hunting.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: tiburon SE 2000

do your self a good think and buy a PS3 fing02.gif
Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

LOL on your HDMI crap. not telling him not to get it, but if it comes down to price difference, there absolutely no point..

the only thing that will be different is the number of cables. if you run a component with digital audio, your going to get the same quality.

there is a negligable difference in the two as far as video output goes.. the human eye wont even be able to detect a difference.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM

There IS no price difference.

The PRO console is the PREMIMUM from old with the chrome DVD tray, with HDMI.

Same price.

I'm just trying to get him to get the best one out there, why settle for a lower quality connection when there is a much better one, that's easier to run, for the same price?

ANd yeah, that's what I said SOCKS, he only has to run one cable. Read what I wrote dude.

HDMI isn't crap, it's actually a very nice setup. Talk about simplifying your connections. I got rid of like 8 cables by putting my new DVR and 360 to HDMI.

I personally like a cleaner look in my entertainment center, having 4000 cables flying around back there sucks ass. Also makes it a hell of a lot easier to take your system with you if you want to.

Composite.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemse...ies/avcable.htm
Video Capabilities

The cable features a single composite video input (yellow RCA connector) supporting standard interlaced (480i) video signals.

3 connections, 2 audio, one video.

Component
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox3...ble/default.htm
^^^
5 connections, 3 video, 2 audio. Have to buy a digital audio cable and run that too if you want digital 5.1 surround sound.

HDMI
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...60hdmiavcable/
^^^
1 Connection. Audio and Video on board, DIGITAL.

Considering you can get a 6 foot cable for under $10 shipped (I got 2, color coded, for $16 shipped), it's a steal of a deal.

I kinda figured it was common sense.