Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Building a bar, any ideas?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib
Default Building a bar, any ideas?

My latest home improvement project is building a bar area in the basement. A little background. My home was built in 1924 and has a substantial amount of original feel still intact on the main living floors (crown moldings, french doors, full oak wainscoating in the family room, original iron light fixtures, etc). In the basement, there was a room originally finished in the middle as a playroom of sorts, knotty pine paneling, black and red tile floor, etc. A few years back, I turned this into a sort of family retreat - 50" tv, futons and gave it a sort of lodge feel, put a floating wood floor over the original, re-did the lighting, etc. So now, I have my eye on the room next door. It was the original laundry room so it has water & a drain. There is also a 1/2 bath. However, the walls are original clay foundation block, the floor is orginal unpainted concrete and the ceiling was original plaster & lathe but was degraded over the years.

So what kinds of things should I be thinking about? My plan is to try to carry the same look over, similar if not the same floor (hope I can find it), maybe similar walls (full knotty pine paneling will probably be big $$, maybe only the lower half?). Any other ideas? I'm trying to stay away from a modern look so any thoughts of looks/styles/items to incorporate would be appreciated.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'd make it as original wood as possible. Get something to match the wood color you have, make it look like a rustic lodge, log home... get bar stools to match. Go as natural as possible. To protect the wood on the top of the bar, you can put a clear plastic plexiglass on top
Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

I love old houses. Post some pictures?