Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Another cop thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I would have loved to see him cuff me, I wasn't bluffing. The worst he could have done was written me another citation for disorderly conduct which I made sure to remain orderly so as to not upset the peace. I wanted to express my frustration because I have to pay $178 for breaking the law and a cop doesn't, I believe I have that right, which I exercised...with my middle finger.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Badlands.

That said, we don't have the full story on this one. It isn't fair to form an opinion without knowing all of the facts, but bulk witnesses are pretty hard to refute.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by PandaSmuggler
I disagree. I think the cops should be fired. Kicking someone in the face is an abuse of power. With unemployment rates the way they are, why bother with these morons, fire them and get some better cops out there. I always hear that, "oh there's a few bad cops and the rest are good." You'd think this would be a great opportunity to make them all good cops. We shouldn't reward bad behavior.

As far as the victim being diabetic therefore it's partially his fault goes, as far as I know, you're still legally able to drive if you're a diabetic. While I see the dangers in this, especially during a diabetic shock, they're still within the law (correct me if I'm wrong.) Kicking a person in the face isn't.

Yes, I'm a little biased, but working in a town where one person was shot and killed by a cop who was holding a broom and another person tased to death, I'm a little skeptical towards cops "exercising restraint."

You mean you agree? I said the kicking guy should be punished, it was wrong.

I don't know if it (diabetic driving) is illegal either, not really a lawyer, though I think those with epilleptic siezers can't. Did he lie when applying ofr his drivers license? Sure, if not treated you can go into shock, just like if you are not carefull you can fall asleep behind the wheel. But I am also sure you could recognize theese signs and it is your responsibility to treat them or prevent them from happening. If you fall asleep and kill someone, I think you are charged with murder, it is pretty serious and your responsibiliity to recognize your condition and respond accordingly.

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
There was a traffic stop in Virginia yesterday. The driver was was a kind and respected 54-year-old Sunday School teacher known for babysitting kids and making gifts for them around her neighborhood. The officer shot her 5-6 times and killed her on spot, and created a story that said she sped off with his arm in the door.

Witnesses watching from their homes claim that wasn't what they saw.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/18...Shooting-In-VA

Sure she shouldn't have driven away, however it's still frightening that they can just shoot as they please on open neighborhood streets and then LIE about it. It's just getting out of control, especially targeting regular citizens that are least likely to be causing crime.

quote fomr the witness "The window was half way up he said 'stop or I'll shoot.' I really didn't think he was going to do it. But she got the window all the way up and that's when he shot."

Frist, what the heck, I don't care if it is a lawman or a thug, someone says stop or I will shoot, you take them dead serious and stop! Second if a cop tells you to do anything, you better do it. If he is wrong, take him to court after the fact, but you don't every argue or worse, disobey a cop...Obvoiusly that is short of him telling you do do something illegal. People in US have so little respoct for cops (treat them less than civilians). Other countries know better, you argue with a cop, you geat beat hard, and this argument will never happen again.

It is like a car coming at you whiel you are crossing and saying, well, instead of dodging this car, I am gonig to make him swerve/break because I have the right of way....WEll you do, but is it really worth your life to to prove this? Not saying it is right at all, BUT if a cop tells you to do something, comply, and compain later in court, you will probably get a nice reward/settlement that made it worth it, vs getting shot or beat down for resisting or running or whatever.

That being said, I don't know the full story, but I don't think what this cop did was right. When you have a bunch of corroborating witnesses that say something different that you did, you are probably wrong and lieing to cover it up.

I can't tell you how many vids I have seen of a cop saying, hands behind your back, and the moron says no, what did I do wrong and then they resisst arrest, get hurt and complain police brutality. If you listened, you wouldn't have to get beat and you could have charged them with wrong doing and not got beat. Why would you resist arrest? One you did something wrong and are trying to run, two, you are trying to hurt them. why else would you resist or disobey. Principal, really? Resisting arrest is just that. They say you are under arrest, and you resist, you are now doing something illegal, even if the thing you are being arrested for wasn't wrong, you are now wrong an can be charged. If you chew gum and a cop says, you are under arrest for this, you comply and go to jail with him, then expalin yourself there and iin court and he will be fired or fined or something. but if you resist arrest, you will be charged with resisting arrest. There is no such thing as, "you thought he was wrong, so it was ok to resist". The court decides right or wrong, not you.

If more people understood this, there would be 90% less "another cop" stories and crooked cops shoting person for turning around quickly and pulling a wallet out of his pocket, and less cops shoving a guy to the ground and less tasing stories. It isn't that difficult, I don't know why we don't respect their authority over us which they legally have and we must comply to.

Originally Posted by 'treezy
Yesterday I got a stop sign violation ticket that was bullshit. Immediately afterwards I watched the cop make an illegal left turn, followed him (legally) and called him out on it in view of other citizen's. He said "what're ya gonna do" so I flipped him the bird and went on my way. Ass.

Sounds a bit like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNSLi...eature=related

It isn't right.... but there are perks to every job. Is it right for you to get a discount at the store you work for while we pay full price? What about giving a hot, undersaged girl get into a club if you get her digits or, getting free tickets, or so many examples of perks out there that are 'unfair' to everyone not getting them. there are so many examples of perks, but I don't think it makes them corrupt really. How do you know he was doing that illegal turn and using his 'cop powers'? He might have done that anyway. I do illegal u-turns sometimes, and if I was a cop people might think I am acusing my powers, but it would have nothing to do with my powers. I think corruption is taking bribes and allowing major bad crimes, lieing to cover your illegal activities ect. But I wouldn't have pulled you over most likely for your rolling stop, that does make him hypocritcal, but not really corrupt IMO. Corruption is a huge deal, hypocrasy is jsut unfair and him being a dick. But he can be a dick and still a good cop and do his job well.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Frist, what the heck, I don't care if it is a lawman or a thug, someone says stop or I will shoot, you take them dead serious and stop! Second if a cop tells you to do anything, you better do it. If he is wrong, take him to court after the fact, but you don't every argue or worse, disobey a cop..

I agree. If they don't lay down the law then criminals will take over. But the people they are harassing are not criminals, they're citizens. And people don't have respect for cops but I think it's for a reason--because they are just fed up with police brutality and abuse and it's giving good cops a poor reputation.

Think about if for a few seconds. We have to think about why the officer lied to begin with. He lied because he knew he did something wrong and punishable. If he didn't do anything that the law wouldn't hold him accountable for, then he wouldn't have to make up this story.

This is a great and popular example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAPwyodTkYA

This is "Freedom of Speech"? They literally cracked his head open (he needed dozens of staples) nearly killing him.

Maybe the student said something to the cops that pissed them off? The cops should be trained to keep their cool. They lost their cool. Why did the cops falsify that entire story? Because they knew they did something illegal. No explanation "he did it" or "she did it" needed. The same exact thing happened with the Patricia Cook shooting.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Originally Posted by Whatnot
Sounds a bit like this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNSLim8h1Nw&feature=related[/youtube]

It isn't right.... but there are perks to every job. Is it right for you to get a discount at the store you work for while we pay full price? What about giving a hot, undersaged girl get into a club if you get her digits or, getting free tickets, or so many examples of perks out there that are 'unfair' to everyone not getting them. there are so many examples of perks, but I don't think it makes them corrupt really. How do you know he was doing that illegal turn and using his 'cop powers'? He might have done that anyway. I do illegal u-turns sometimes, and if I was a cop people might think I am acusing my powers, but it would have nothing to do with my powers. I think corruption is taking bribes and allowing major bad crimes, lieing to cover your illegal activities ect. But I wouldn't have pulled you over most likely for your rolling stop, that does make him hypocritcal, but not really corrupt IMO. Corruption is a huge deal, hypocrasy is jsut unfair and him being a dick. But he can be a dick and still a good cop and do his job well.

I never said the cop in my encounter was corrupt, just an a**hole, as are most "peace keepers" that I've come across in my time. Using an example such as an employee's store discount as justification for a police officer to have the right to break the law (however small) without the same consequences as everybody else is a bit outrageous. I get where you're coming from and I understand it, that is the world we choose to live in.

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
I agree. If they don't lay down the law then criminals will take over. But the people they are harassing are not criminals, they're citizens. And people don't have respect for cops but I think it's for a reason--because they are just fed up with police brutality and abuse and it's giving good cops a poor reputation.

To the comment of doing whatever a cop tells (or threatens) you to do, that is advise that should be taken with a bit of your own legal rights into consideration. When threatened I've used the line "Officer, am I being detained or am I free to go?" many times to get me out of situations that I felt could only get worse with time spent "talking" to officers who obviously had a negative bias towards me with their actions/words. It's a sad world when we fear our law enforcement more than our civil peers. I sure as hell do. In my neighborhood, I would rather let a total stranger into my home than a police officer. Maybe I should start videotaping my police encounters and uploading them to youtube for worldwide discussion. hmm
Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by 'treezy
To the comment of doing whatever a cop tells (or threatens) you to do, that is advise that should be taken with a bit of your own legal rights into consideration. When threatened I've used the line "Officer, am I being detained or am I free to go?" many times to get me out of situations that I felt could only get worse with time spent "talking" to officers who obviously had a negative bias towards me with their actions/words. It's a sad world when we fear our law enforcement more than our civil peers. I sure as hell do. In my neighborhood, I would rather let a total stranger into my home than a police officer. Maybe I should start videotaping my police encounters and uploading them to youtube for worldwide discussion. hmm

It is also sad when we respect strangers more than we do law enforcement....

But yea, I did make to omuch of a blanket statment above, it is ok to camly speak to them or ask questions verifications ect, but when they say the words "under arrest" boom, you comply immediatly.

But a lawyers dream is a guy that says not one word to teh police, and complies.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

The diabetic could have killed someone if he was swerving and didn't realise this and could have passed out. He should know his limits better or have his license taken from him.
As someone stated, of course you're allowed to drive if you're a diabetic, but if you're affected by legal prescription medications you can still get a ticket for driving under the influence. I don't know anything about diabetics or his condition. I'm sure he wasn't aware that it was going to happen, but he was still putting the lives of others at risk. I would say in that situation given the information the other officers had and what was observed, 99% of the time it's going to be DUI related, not a diabetic shock.

I don't see a problem with 6 guys trying to take him down....Of course the guy kicking him in the face is rediculous and so is the guy kneeing him like that and they should be punished.
The guy kicking him in the face didn't care to help, he just wanted to get his shots in. He did absolutely nothing to help. I didn't see anything wrong with everyone else, though it's hard to see what's going on when 4 (5?) officers are struggling to get the man cuffed. The guy kicking to the face should have been fired. The other officers I see no problem with.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:06 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

Originally Posted by majik
The guy kicking him in the face didn't care to help, he just wanted to get his shots in. He did absolutely nothing to help.

This. It seems to me that -some- cops are taking out their aggression on innocent people. If someone is resisting arrest, then overpower them and cuff them. Kicking them in the face is never necessary. Same with the lady that got shot. I don't buy this "if you don't listen to the cop, then you have it coming" BS. Unless you pull a gun out on an officer, then you shouldn't be shot. The biggest problem is they don't properly discipline bad cops. They should have fired his ass, instead they didn't and the department gets sued at the expense of the tax payers. Giving a bad cop a wrist slap is pretty much rewarding them for stupid, life threatening behavior. That's what I have a problem with.