Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

*redz Recipe* New Mexican Food 102 (UPDATED 19 NOV 07)

Old 07-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, I thought I had posted this up, but a friend just asked me for my recipie so I sent it to her.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=4619&hl=

That is the first recipe I put up for ya'll, here's the second.

You can do this one with Pork Cubes (About a pound), or ground beef. Ground Turkey comes out good, but you have to make sure that you don't go too lean.

Anyways, here's what's needed for enough to feed about 5 to 6 folks.

Ingredients

1 Package Flour Tortillias 8 to 12 inch.
1 LB Cubed Pork (I usually buy Boneless Pork Ribs and cube 1.5 of them) Cut into about .5 to .75 inch cubes
Garlic Powder or Minced Garlic
Salt & Pepper
1 Yellow, White, or Purple onion, try different ones each time for taste prefrence.
3 to 4 small to medium New Potatoes (Purple, regular potatoes will work, but the New Potatoes taste MUCH better)
1 Can of Ranch Style Black Beans (You can use the regular Ranch Style Beans, but the Black beans are MUCH better)
1/2 to 3/4 can of corn
1 Can Tomatoes with Green Chiles (Ro*Tel is the best brand, 10 ounce Can. Many different varieties, start off with the Mild or Original)
1 or 2 cans of Old Elpaso Green Chiles, (Again, start off the first time with one can, and get the WHOLE CHILES, cut them yourself, Much better flavor than the precut)
^^^
Can always find these in the Mexican Food isle.

Preparation:

1. Cube Pork
2. Cut onion (If you cut your onion next to a very hot stove on your cutting board, you won't get tears at all, convection is awesome) into halves then dice into bigger pieces.
3. Clean potatoes and then cut into about 1 inch strips by 1/4 inch. Doens't have to be that size but they cook better. Don't make them too thin or thick. This takes the longest to cook.
4. Open cans, drain only the corn. (You can omit the corn but I like the fresh crunchy flavor they give.)
5. Dice the chilies.

Procedure:

In a medium pot (2 to 4 quarts), turn on medium and let get hot. Sprinkle the bottom with some olive oil to keep the pork from sticking. Carefully place pork, onions, and approximately 2 Teaspoons of minced garlic in pot, stir and brown slightly, don't let it get burnt to the bottom. Sprinkle with salt, pepper. REMEMBER< MEDIUM HEAT. Anyways, once you have juice in the pan, feel free to pour some off, but don't pour it all out or you lose a lot of flavor. When all the pork is mostly whitesh grey on the outside, pour in your remaining ingredients. You MIGHT want to only put in half of the chiles so you can add more if you want, but if you make it too hot, no one will eat it. Stir everything a bit. It should not have a LOT of fluid, but you can always put about half a can of water from the bean can into there (Helps get out all the beans too).

Cover and cook, making sure not to boil, until the potatoes are done. Usually takes about 45 minutes MAXimum. Turn heat down and let it cool so the juice thickens some. Taste, add more salt and garlic powder as needed.

Serve in bowls with tortillias and butter. if it's too hot for the kids, have them put a bit of butter (I can't belive it's not butter!) into their bowl, it will make it creamy and cooler. Sour cream can be used also. I recommend serving with milk.

Let me know what you think and I'll send you a few others after you try this.

Jeremy
Old 07-01-2005, 02:11 PM

. . thanks.gif
clapping.gif

Took you long enough.

lmao.gif
Old 07-01-2005, 02:12 PM

Blow me.

At least I put it up.

LOL
Old 07-01-2005, 02:19 PM

hmmm.

I am house sitting for my parents this weekend......

I might have to raid the 'fridge, oh, sorry, I meant Borrow wink1.gif, some of thier food and give this a try.
lmao.gif
Old 07-01-2005, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

thanks you Red, i tryed it... DAM GOOD... fing02.gif
Old 07-02-2005, 09:14 AM

NP mang. Glad you liked.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:42 AM

Hmm, WHO said I didn't post this up before?

LOL

Anyways, I updated my recipe and translated it into Spanish for my Spanish class.

Jeremy Zimmerman
“El Guapito’s Green Chilie Stew Recipeâ€Â

ENGLISH

Ingredients

1 pound of thawed pork (preferably a sirloin roast or tenderloin)
½ large white or yellow onion
3 or 4 medium potatoes (preferably Fingerling or red potatoes of an equal amount)
½ bunch Green Onions.
1 Roma Tomato
1 Can of Ranch Style Beans (preferably black beans)
1 Can of yellow or white corn
1 Can of RoTel brand tomatoes with chilies
1 Clove of garlic (approximately 1 tablespoon of jarred minced garlic)
¼ to ½ cup of green chilies.
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil

1. Wash the potatoes and remove any dark areas or eyes. Quarter the potatoes and cut quarters into slices approximately ½ inch thick. Leave one quarter WHOLE (when this quarter is fully cooked, the stew is done). Set aside.
2. Dice the onions and put into a 2 quart pan with some olive oil (approximately 3 tablespoons) on the bottom over medium low heat.
3. Mince the garlic and put in to the simmering onions.
4. Cut pork into pieces approximately 1 inch by ½ inch, mix into pan.
5. Put cut potatoes into pan with the pork and onions.
6. Wash the tomato and cut off the ends. Throw the ends away and dice the center, and put it in the pan.
7. Dice and then mix ½ of the green chilies into the pan.
8. Open all cans, draining ONLY the corn. Pour beans, RoTel tomatoes, and ½ of the corn into the pan.
9. Carefully fold the ingredients as to not crush the beans.
10. Add a little salt and pepper.
11. Cover pan and leave on medium low heat for approximately 10 minutes.
12. Find the large potato you left whole. Check to see if it is done by pushing a fork into it. If it easily goes in and pulls out, your stew should be finished.
13. Taste the stew, add more chilies and salt or pepper to your preferred taste.
14. Serve warm in a bowl with warm tortillas and butter.

Alternate Use: Huevos Rancheros.

1. Cook 2 or 3 eggs (Preferably over-easy).
2. Warm a medium tortilla and place it flat on a plate.
3. Put eggs on top of the tortilla.
4. Cover eggs with warm Green Chilie Stew.
5. Sprinkle shredded lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and cheese on top. Can be served with salsa.

En Espanol

Ingredientes

1 Libra deshelado carne de cerdo (preferiblemente asado de solomillo o lomo).
½ Grande blanco o amarillio cebolla.
3 o 4 Papas medias (preferiblemente fingerling o papas rojas de iguale la cantidad).
½ Ramo verde cebolla.
1 Tomate de roma.
1 Lata de frijoles de estilo hacienda (preferiblemente frijoles negros).
1 Lata de maÃÂ*z de amarillo o blanco.
1 Lata de RoTel marca tomates con chilies.
1 Diente de ajo (aproximadamente 1 chucharada de picado ajo de jarra).
¼ a ½ copa de chilie verde.
Sal y pimiento.
Aceite de oliva.

1. Lave las papas y recorte la oscuridad marca y ojos de papas. Corte en cuartos las papas y corte cuartos en rajas aproximadamente ½ pulgada grueso menos una cuarto. (Cuándo el cuarto es cocinado, el estofado es prepárese). Ponga aparte.
2. Pele cebollas y corte los fines. Corte de cebollas y ponga en 2 cuart cacerola con aceite de oliva, (aproximadamente 3 chucharadas) sobre medio bajo calor.
3. Pica de ajo y mezcla de ajo con de cebolla.
4. Corte de carne de cerdo en trozos aproximadamente 1 pulgada a ½ pulgada y mezcla entra cacerola.
5. Mezcla las papas entra cacerola.
6. Lava los tomates y corte los fines. Deseche de fines de tomates y corte de centre. Mezcla tomates entra cacerola.
7. Corte y mezcla ½ del chilie verde entre de cacerola.
8. Abra todo latas y vacÃÂ*a de maÃÂ*z. Mezcla ½ del latas de maÃÂ*z y todos otro ingredientes de latas entra de cacerola.
9. Con cuidado mezcla de ingredientes por no hacer pedazos de frijoles.
10. Incorpora un poco sal y pimiento.
11. Cubre de cacerola y cocina por aproximadamente 10 minutos.
12. Encuentra de grande papas en la cacerola y prueba para ver si es hecho con tenedor. 13. Sabor de estofado, mas chilies o sal y pimiento si necesitado.
14. Sirva tibio en el tazón con tortillas tibias y unta con mantequilla.