Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

****Attention ONT Canada Enthusiast*** URGENT

Old 01-28-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****Attention ONT Canada Enthusiast*** URGENT

Hello all. You may or may not be aware of legislation pending that may seriously impare our ability to enjoy the things we love most. Our beloved vehicles. Bill 241 section 172.2 will essentially allow impoundment and destrution of mods made to our vehicles. For better desription read here http://www.performanceimprovements.com

Essentially I am asking all residents of ontario to write there MPP, the transportation minister and the premier indicating their disatisfaction with this impending legislation. Here is a sample of my letter to the Transportation Minister:

Hello and Good Day Hon. Mr. Sterling,

My name is (insert your name). I am a 25 year old male, born and raised in Etobicoke. I am writing you today regarding a great concern I have regarding the proposed legislation in Bill 241, section 172.2. The proposed bill does contain some good ideas, including: Mandating booster seats for children, increased fines for speeding in construction zones, and legislating the left lane for passing only. Hidden within Bill 241 however, is section 172.2 that will directly effect those of us who enjoy modifying vehicles. This section, introduced to stop illegal street-racing, is so vaguely worded it could ban all modified cars from Ontario roads. The offending portion reads as follows:

172.2 (1) No person shall drive or permit to be driven on a highway a motor vehicle with a prescribed part, containing a prescribed substance or equipped with prescribed equipment in perscribed circumstances.

Parts 2 through 8 describe the methods available to the police to enforce this legislation, the penalties and the evidence required.

172.2 (9) the Lieutenant Governor in council may make regulations,

(a) perscribing substances, parts and equipment commonly used in racing for the purpose of this section;
(cool.gif perscribing circumstances for the purpose of subsection (1);
© exempting any class of persons or vehicles from any requirement or provision of this section or of any regulation made under this section, perscribing conditions for any such exemptions and perscribing different requirements for different classes of persons or vehicles

In essence, if Bill 241 is passed as written, it will allow the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario to decide which items are illegal without consultation. Ontario citizens will not be allowed to drive any vehicles that feature items on the government's 'Black List', regardless of whether the driver is a street racer or not. The vague wording of this section means that potentially any changes made to your vehicle may be deemed illegal once this bill has been passed.

(change this part is you are going to use this letter)
I have owned 4 vehicles since I obtained my drivers license in 1994. All of which have been modified in some way. This has been done from a true love of all things automotive. I have modified my vehicles, for looks, safety, and especially performance. I have competed in legal and sanctioned autocross, road race and drag racing events. Most importantly I have never been inclined once to participate in any form of street racing. This Stems from my responsibilities to myself and others as a licensed driver in this great province. I firmly believe that modification of ones vehicle is in no way related to the miss-use of it on the roads.

Furthermore, the effects of bill 241's section 172.2 on law abiding enthusiasts and businesses will be considerable. This legislation has the honorable intention of stopping the problem of street racing, but could do the exact opposite of that. Many enthusiasts will be unable to drive there vehicles to competition venues, forcing them to purchase trailers or sell their vehicles. This will reduce overall participation at sanctioned legal events. Reduced participation can cause the event organizers, or venues to go out of business. Racers may then be more tempted to street race as a recourse. I and many others believe that this bill will not stop street racing. What would stop two people, so inclined, from racing stock, unmodified commuter cars at any given time? How about rented or stolen vehicles? How about the weathy and lucky owners of exotic performance vehicles of the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, etc? These vehicle are easily capable of thrice exceeding the speed limits of today's highway system. Are these exclusive owners above the law because they purchased their vehicles with the capability for high speed and performance, rather than modifying it to achive these? Does the vehicle and it's modified condition cause the issue of street racing? No. Does the attitude and irresponsibility of the driver? Absolutely! This legislation is not targeting the reckless law breaking few, but the law abiding, responsible many. The ability of this legislation to stand in the way of our charted rights and freedoms as a society of enthusiasts clearly outweighs the good that can come from it. I thank you for your time today.

Regards,
Old 02-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Al

holy crap! i cant believe they can actuallly do that...things catn get an;y worse then this
i dotn live in Canada but i signed it ...hope it all works out

i wounder what are the ods of htis happening in US

[ February 01, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Big_Al ]
Old 02-02-2003, 10:13 AM

Big_Al:
i wounder what are the ods of htis happening in US
Thats SEMA is for, for preventing stupid crap like this. There are just some people who are bitter at the thought that other people might actually be finding way tos enjoy this thing we call life.