Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Wet Vs. Dry (Direct Port)

Old 07-09-2002, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Vs. Dry (Direct Port)

ok,so here it is,at the end of the month i should be getting a considerable amount of Pocket Change,
i ditched the Turbo after finding out they want two grand to make a manifold,so im going to drop a NO2 kit in my bucket,now,,the big question is do i want Direct port or a dry set up,,now granted they dont make enough internal parts for my car so im kinda sceptical about the wet setup,,what do you guys think regardless im going to be usiing either the JG Kit or NOS

LOL,,,ok now im in the right forum!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 07:02 AM
Red

Dry kit are good for up to about 55 horsepower increase. Wet kits border on reliability at 75 horsepower... Direct port kits on stock Tiburons have been seen in the 150hp eek! levels in Puerto Rico.

A dry system sprays nitrous ONLY, and relies on increased fuel pressure (or fancy electronics) to get your stock fuel injectors to supply the needed fuel. The limit here is what your stock fuel system can do...

A wet system sprays nitrous and fuel out of the same nozzle, which takes care of the (obvious) fuel problem. However, your manifold is meant to flow AIR, not liquid. Thus, a wet system main failure point is bad (uneven) distribution of the fuel which leads to certain cylinders running lean and melting expensive pieces sad.gif There's no workaround to this, the limit is about 75 horsepower due to flow restrictions in the manifold.

A direct port system is a wet system but at much more complex levels. A wet nozzle is installed on each intake runner right before the cylinder head. This allows for very precise metering of fuel and nitrous to each cylinder. The drawback is that the smallest nozzles you can get are about 25HP each, which gives you four 25hp nozzles = 100HP shot as the minimum requirement.

Your call on how crazy you wanna get...
Old 07-09-2002, 07:11 AM

Red:
The drawback is that the smallest nozzles you can get are about 25HP each, which gives you four 25hp nozzles = 100HP shot as the minimum requirement.
i knew it
i argued with someone about this a while back ago

they said something about a 60 shot direct port

oh well
thanx red
Old 07-09-2002, 07:24 AM
Red

I don't know of anyone who makes 15hp nozzles... But I suppose if you look hard enough they exist for things like two-stroke scooters and whatnot. maybe??
Old 07-10-2002, 04:48 AM
Red

SCCA, you have corrected nothing.

You stated by yourself that you use an 18 jet to attain a *50HP* shot. Guess what? 18 x 4 doesn't equal 50? Wanna know why? Because it's rated AT THE CRANK.

Wanna know why it's ALWAYS measured at the crank?

Let's strap a single-fogger NX *50HP at the wheels* kit onto a 1.3L Honda Insight. It will probably gain another 50HP at the wheels just like you say -- maybe even more.

Now let's strap that exact same kit to a Chevy 1-ton dually with a gasoline 5.7L (350) engine. Guess what? You will NEVER get 50 wheel horsepower out of that thing. Guess why? Gee, could it be because the transmission rotating assembly just gained about 700% more mass than in the Honda Insight?

Nitrous is rated at the crank, period, end of discussion. Anyone who claims otherwise (individuals OR marketing divisions) doesn't know their butt from a hole in a rusty muffler.

You even said admitted to it yourself.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:36 AM

Old 07-10-2002, 06:54 AM
Red

Good lord, you're really serious? rolleyes.gif

You mean to tell me that every last car on this planet has the exact same rotational mass percentage loss? My old 1.0L Geo Metro suffered EXACTLY THE SAME rotational percentage loss that an Z06 vette does?!?!?!

If you pull your head out, you realize that it's 100% impossible. The ONLY WAY that NX can *rate* a system for wheel horsepower is if every car in the universe lost the exact same amount of power (percentage) to rotational loss.

Guess what? It doesn't work that way and YOU KNOW IT. Why are you arguing such an incredibly stupid point??? This is 100% blatently obvoius to anyone who knows ANYTHING about a car!!
Old 07-10-2002, 07:25 AM