Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Is the tiburon block infact a 4g63

Old 04-22-2003, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow i had better think twice before I post me personal expeirences again. lol It seems at this point that you are disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing. It may not be a precision fit, but i`m not looking to shave a 10th of a second of my next pass at the track. When you compare they price of a used dsm turbo manifold and that of a new tiburon turbo manifold, I can deal with the SLIGHT port misallignment. I`m not dealing with gobs of boost, the dsm manifold surves it`s purpose just fine. Perhaps if I go all out and get new internals and really turn up the boost, then yes the dsm manifold would be a weak link, but untill then it will do its job. And for alot of members at this board that could really used the money saved by purchasing the dsm manifold, it will do just fine aswell. So for the sake of stopping this pointless argurement; It fit`s but it doesn`t fit perfectly. I hope we can all agree to that.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:59 AM
Red

Excuse me, but I think I've been doing Hyundai work for about six years longer than you have. I'm beginning to think I've been doing automotive work longer than you've been alive...

Nevertheless, the SPECIFIC question was "What parts swap between the two"... The SPECIFIC ANSWER was very VERY little.

Your manifold must be modified to make it fit, and then still doesn't fit right. That's not a swap, that's a duct-tape job. Furthermore, not having the ports line up correctly will raise your cylinder head temperatures becase of the exhaust contriction right up against the head. In an aluminum head engine, especially with a turbocharged setup, you have a good chance of damaging your head with an unchecked problem like that.

Furthermore, thanks to the wrong mating of the two which generated all that blockage, you now have higher exhaust gas pressure. You will now also have exhaust flow reversion problems on the car's intake stroke (remember: It's an N/A car, and the cams are built specifically to induce valve timing overlap).

Your hack job essentially has two serious consequences: overheating the cylinder head, and increased detonation and lesser performance due to exhaust flow reversion during valve overlap on the intake stroke.

This is what happens on a POORLY DESIGNED system, and is not something I will advocate to the users on this board who depend on me (and the other moderators) to supply them with true and proper information for their car.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:38 AM

I understand that it is not the best thing for the car and my choice was motivated by dollars and not sense. However, since I am still running stock internals and don`t plan on turning up the boost past 6-7 psi. I really don`t think the restriction will cause such a big problem as long as i treat the car properly. And as for you trying to prove your automitive dominance based on age, you would have to be pretty old, to have gone through school, apprenticed, and became licinced all before I was born. I am not and have not alluded to you being incorrect, I was simply trying to say that in low boost applications, the dsm manifold will do it`s job. I plan on a full cnk kit at some point, but until then I am confident that the dsm will hold up. I enjoy this board and the knowledge it provides, to which I am sure you are a large contributing factor. I have spoken with people from various boards that have had success using the DSM manifold. As I am sure you know, many of of us motor heads have more enthusiam than income. The dsm manifold may not be the best way to go, but it will do the job. I hope you can take this for what it is and nothing more. A low budget method for attaining boost. Considering what I have spent using dsm turbo components, compared to what it would cost to "do it right" I (and I`m sure many others) are willing to take the risk. I may not be a mechanic, I am in fact nothing more than a fourth year university commerce major. Perhaps that is why I focus on cost savings and not longevity. Never the less, for the sake of many of your financially restricted members, the acnowledgement of the dsm turbo components as an option, could meen the difference between boost and no boost. Again I`m not trying to argue with you, if I had the cash I would do it properly the first time too. But for a money deprived student like myself, dsm has served its purpose.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:21 AM
Red

The point is, make sure you understand (and that you CONVEY) that it is NOT a swap part. You can modify it in order for it to bolt on, but it has quite a few drawbacks.

You can have any two of the three: Cheap, fast, reliable. You have chosen cheap and fast, make sure you understand that.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

lol, the laws of business conformed to tuning. wink
Old 04-22-2003, 04:43 AM

(Steps on Soap box) Ahem, I have learned over the past 6mths that 1) Red's knowledge on all things Hyundai is NOT to be questioned...ever 2) If you ask a specific question, expect a specific answer 3)The Best advice is often the advice we do not want to hear 4)Knowledge is gained through understanding what is said not just simply reading a book 5)Shorcuts are not always the best way to go in life. (Steps off Soap box) poke

[ April 22, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: David Dickson ]
Old 04-22-2003, 05:54 AM
Red

I'm not infallable, nor should I be considered as such. The only note to this is, if you want to question what I have to say, you need to bring some verifiable facts, not heresay and anecdotal evidence.

"Quite a few people use them so they obviously work" is anecdotal evidence at best... You might be able to retrofit an 85mm Mustang throttlebody to our intake manifold, but I'll be damned if I would describe it as a mod that WORKS.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:35 AM

If infact the ill effects of the dsm manifold are as grave as you attest, then would it be in my best interests to (using an adapter plate) run the turbo off of my stock tiburon exhaust manifold? I have seen this done before, but I have never heard any feed back. Assuming that within 2 years I will be purchasing a complete cnk turbo kit?
Old 04-22-2003, 07:00 AM
Red

The adapter plate would be a better alternative, so long as you can get it to fit within the needs of the turbo. Remember that oil must be able to drain from the turbo into your oilpan, which means the turbine cartridge section must be physically higher than the oil level in your oil pan.

If you can get an adapter plate that is thin enough to keep the turbo high enough to drain correctly, then it would be a good option. You do need to make sure that the adapter plate orfices are sized correctly (slightly oversize on the manifold side, slightly undersized on the turbo side) so that you minimize any wierd flow characteristics.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:15 AM

just so every one knows here the ports on my 1st gen manifold to the beta head was only 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch at the most wich gave more than enough room for port matching the manifold to the head wich i did with success so i belive with the 3 hrs and 50 bucks i paid for the manifold it was more than worth it saved me mucho denario (no offence Red) If you really want to go without the bandaid (unsure of that) go get a evo manifold for the 463g and modify the bolt holes and port match the manifold for good flow then you have a manifold for around 150-200