Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

BEWARE 75 SHOT!!!

Old 02-17-2002, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was using those exact same plugs,... but since it is a 75 shot,.. dont you think 2 degrees would be best??
im not sure about the ZEX plugs,... i dunno how good they would do against a 75 and a daily driver

has anybody ever tried I/H/E with a 75???
my car is a 5 speed,... and i should be, if not already, near the fuel limit

does anybody know what a 5 speed beta with i/h/e has dynoed at???

buying a wet system now,... is too late,... im a full time student and i really cant shell out another 500 for a wet system

who else has fried their spark plugs??? am i the only idiot that has achieved this???
i am really paranoid about the tiny ceramic POS stuck in my engine
Old 02-17-2002, 12:33 PM

Like I mentioned before, with the ZEX kit. Make sure the hoses are clamped on there SOLID. The hose coming off is the most common failure.

Wet systems also have there disadvantages... Fuel solenoid failure.... which happens more than some people would like to know and... BOOM... especially since most wet systems run more nitrous. Then there is the nitrous/fuel exposive mixture in the intake tract... and not just in the cylinders. I have seen intake manifold "holed" and blown off of the engine. Wet systems are for the experienced and even then somethings go wrong.

Jaws, you should be OK but it is also good to get a compression test. We had a bad nitrous nozzle once and it POURED nitrous around the fitting into the intake during a install/tuning run on the dyno. The car made something like 350 ftlbs of torque for 2 sec before we shut it down. The compression test was OK after this near disaster.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:52 PM

Jaws021,

Let me know how your car is going. Sorry about that happening.

I would really think that you should get a few gauges before racing again. Talk with Random about the gauges.

75 shot might be able to handle the stock timing but I am really not sure about it. I would rather see you getting one of the MSD timing systems made for running nitros. Also trying to get your window rpm running just to keep you away from hitting the rev limiter.

I don't know about it but using the bottle in 1st gear seems shady to me. 1st gear is so short.

Looking forward to seeing you at Palmdale again soon.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:18 PM

When it comes to the timing I called ZEX and they told me the tib has a knock sensor and would adjust the timing if any detonation was present. As for the peices of the plugs I would not worry about them, they got blown out the exhaust within seconds of them coming apart. Just hope none of the exhaust valves were damaged, a leak down test would let you know if there was any valve damage.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:04 AM

hmmm....

it is a widely held misconception that the knock sensor just backs off timing...

on many cars, it also backs off the injector pulse width and sets the car on LIMP MODE.

therefore, you can still possibly damage your engine if you ping...
Old 02-18-2002, 12:39 AM

The car shouldn't go into limp mode when it's in open loop, but you never know. In either case it was the loose hose at 75 shot that did it, I would also check all the fittings again. Jaws go down to 65 and make sure every thing runs ok there then try and go back to 75. Also what fuel were you using!! never trust pump gas to actually be the octane ratted, always put some Octane boost in it to make sure.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:23 AM

Jaws021 I hope all ii well with your car.

FordFasteR exactly what "wet system" are you using?
Old 02-18-2002, 05:38 AM

sorry for not answering the question earlier brendan
i was running 91 octane with an 3/4 of an octane boost designed for a whole 20 gallon tank
a thing about downgrading to a 65,... i really cant at this point
since i did buy this kit used
the nozzle was almost stripped,... and thanx to me and my experiments,... i have pretty much stripped the nozzle that goes into the intake(5 inches from the tb)
i will be using 2 clams for EVERY hose now,... random told me about a vaccum hose clamps,... so im going to listen to him.

the bottle is out of my car for now,... once i get the exhaust done, im going to be getting it dynoed,... just to make sure everything is ok

g60: i will be getting a a/f gauge now, and a fuel pressure one,... which reminds me i better get that first before i clamp down everything
i will be going back to palmdale, since i am not satisfied with a 16.5 on 2 cyl.

i bought a comperession tester like fordfaster suggested, so i will Know hopefully today or tommorow the status of my pistons

thanx guys for your help
and i especially thank random,... if it wasnt for him,... i would have been camping out at palmdale or knowing me, i would have been stranded somewhere in the mountains.

thanx g60 for looking over my ghetto fabulous car while we were getting the spark plugs

BTW,... i was also aware of the knock sensor,... i thought that kept me away from detonation???

Right now im back to one degree colder plugs,... anyone suggest the expensives ass ZEX ones for a daily driver???
Old 02-18-2002, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I'm thinking you should get the compression test done first. If that turns out okay, then we dyno your car and have the exhaust gas sniffer test done. (1SickG60 just had this done for $75).

Then we will know if you are running rich or lean without the Nitrous. Then we can add the bottle in for the last run on the dyno, and get the A/F reading done again. If it shows lean, it could be because all of the other additional mods, with the 75 shot are beyond the reach of the Stock fuel injectors. (I know you've already upgraded your fuel pump).

The dyno test should answer all the questions.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:05 AM

If any of you guys want to get your car dyno'd I went to Eurosport. As far as I know, it is $75 for an hour. I had the guys check out my motor, retarded the camshaft gear back to zero and then they did the run. The info I got was the three pulls HP and Torque (graph), HP and A/F ratio (graph), and a list of HP and A/F ratio.

The guys at Eurosport are pretty nice. I have met the owner (Raffi) at Button Willow during a SCCA race event. They are in Anaheim where the 57 fwy and 91 fwy cross.

1350 N. Hundley St. Anaheim, CA 92806
Euro Sport Accessories

Animal, let me know if you are going to go there.