Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/nitrous-oxide-nos-zex-nx-express-venom-etc-27/)
-   -   BEWARE 75 SHOT!!! (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/nitrous-oxide-nos-zex-nx-express-venom-etc-27/beware-75-shot-4239/)

JAWS 021 02-16-2002 05:37 PM

BEWARE 75 SHOT!!!

WANT A 75 SHOT???
this will make you think twice

BTW
i have the random special, HVE ceramic coated headers, and a 2 1/4 exhaust with a stock cat and a 2" glasspack,... yes its corrupted
I do have the eclipse turbo fuel pump
i was running(ZEX) a 75 shot 38 nozzle in the no2 and 32 in the fuel

last night, at the track, i start racing and the vaccum line connected to the fuel regulator came lose, while on my shift to 2nd gear,... i hear a clink (which turned out to be that the vaccum hose from the ZEX box to the fuel regulator came loose)
after that INSTANT POWER LOSS
i got scared and coasted the rest of the 1/4 mile
check engine light came on instantly after it happened
i checked it on randoms datalogger and it reported a miss fire on 1st cyl
so im like kool

2nd run
i begin,... some where on 2nd gear i get another check engine light,...

we once again check it,... missfire 2nd cyl

so as im waiting for my 3rd run,... i start the car up again and it starts idling rough,... me and random checked it,... 2 plugs melted,... (random will post pics later)
we are now worried that the ceramic part of the spark plug is somewhere near the piston and if it has been crushed by the piston it will slowly eat my piston rings and my car will slowly die a horrible death sad.gif

after we replaced the plugs,... the car made it back home (1 hour drive up hills) fine and everything normal,.... for now sad.gif

I DID NOT RUN THE CAR IN THE REDLINE,... after many practices with the 65 and 55 shot,... i shift normally between 6400-6700
i tested the car 3 days before and no problem with the 75

after the first run,... i tested it on 1st gear just to make sure,... it ran beautifully

question is???
Am i smoking crack and i actually did run in the redline???
Am i actually at the 180WHP limit for the fuel system???
Did the vaccum hose cause me to run lean???
BIG QUESTION???
probability of the tiny ceramic part of the 1 degree colder NGK v spark plugs completely F-ing up my pistons and causing me to end my racing days???

Everybody running nitrous,... for safe measure,.. put 2 clamps on your vaccum hoses,... and stay away from the 75 shot
NITROUS IS NO JOKE

FordFasteRR 02-16-2002 11:28 PM

*warning*.

Dry kits are the crappiest nitrous systems available. It is widely known that the "nitrous pressure regulators" lockup, jam, or pop the vacume hose off the fuel regulator and cause the engine to run lean... KABOOOM GOES YOUR ENGINE>..

it seems you are lucky, you just killed your spark plugs.... you didnt kill a piston, or an exhaust valve...

i would go to the auto parts store, and buy a compression tester, check all of your cylinders, they should have the same amount of compression level.

LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT, i want to know how your engine is REALLY doing after leaning out with a 75 shot ...

thanks alot, and good luck. please throw the zex kit in the garbage, and get wet kit for your car.

REGARDS: STEVE. eek.gif

Stocker 02-17-2002 12:43 AM

If you are really worried about your engine swallowing plug parts, it is not THAT hard to take the head off & inspect the bores...

trigun tibby 02-17-2002 02:32 AM

Hey I figured I would jump in here. I was interested in the ZEX kit myself. BUt aftee this, um, is it really safe?. I don't have too many mods on the car YET. HOwever, I don't rreally race the car. I would't plan ontaking it to the track, so I would I still be ok with the ZEX kit as long as I changed the plugs to the nitrous plugs?.....Any reccomendations? :D :cool: :D :cool:

Random 02-17-2002 05:18 AM

Plug Photo #1

Plug Photo #2

Plug Photo #3

Plug Photo #4

Plug Photo #5

Plug Photo #6

Plug Photo #7

MAXXTIB 02-17-2002 05:28 AM

The same thing happend to me,but I noticed it right away and no damage was done and my plugs were fine. What i did was I went out and got braided vcaccum line and then I flared the vaccum fitting on the regulator so after I clamp it down there is no way for it to come off. And I used double clamp anywhere I could fit them. after that I sat there and pulled the **** out of them making sure they don't come off, and I have not had a problem since.

Brendan 02-17-2002 07:03 AM

which plugs are these? were they 2 steps colder? at 75 shot you needed
to retard the timing was this done?

JAWS 021 02-17-2002 08:51 AM

the plugs were the v power ngk ones,... they were 1 degree colder and the timing was not changed,...
dont these cars do that automatically???

i am really curious about trying the 75 shot again,... since i know deep inside the car can handle it
but i fear that ceramic part somewhere in my engine causing damage as the days go,... sad.gif
i will get a compression tester,... anybody know where i can get one for a decent price?

JAWS 021 02-17-2002 09:04 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by Stocker:
If you are really worried about your engine swallowing plug parts, it is not THAT hard to take the head off & inspect the bores...</div>
????
sounds simple but is it really???
one question
are the vpower ngk +1 degree plugs sufficient for the 75 shot???
OR should i get the ZEX plugs???
my car is a daily driver

This was the first time i raced with the 75 shot,... i DID test it out on 1st and 2nd gear prior to going to the track,.... everything was fine
i also tested it on 1st gear after the first incident at the track,... and everything was fine

i currently have ANOTHER set of vpower ngk +1degree plugs,...
what do you guys think??? i really dont want to end my racing days,...
i was actually starting to get close to beating random tongue.gif wink.gif
j/k

FordFasteRR 02-17-2002 11:56 AM

Can i use those pictures of the fried plugs on my website ? i will give credit where it is due for using them please.

answers to some questions / comments that i have seen on this post..

1. You do not need to retard the timing for a 75 shot on a beta engine because the factory timing advance is not radical enough to warrant any timing changes.

2. the NGK BKR6E-11 plugs are 1 stage colder than stock, and will work fine with a 75 shot wet or dry, or a turbo setup too.

3. I recommend that you upgrade to a wet kit. it will support more nitrous, and it doesnt rely on the stock injectors being pushed to 80psi .. which they were not intended to operate at..

a wet kit uses its own fuel supply mechanism therefore eliminating any lean conditions if you hit the limiter or redline in any gear...

i have pictures of my timeslip up on my website now.. in the diagrams section.