KFX Performance
Sponsor:    KFX Performance
R&D for your Hyundai, new parts development, Colt Cams, tuning Korean Cars for almost 10 years.
http://www.kfxperformance.com/

Engine Dampers? Kfx Performance...

Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Can you still keep your timing cover? Looks pretty close, either way i'm definitly buying one.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

this is something I'm really interested in.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

ill be getting one
hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif
Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Feb 10 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I've wrecked quite a few of those 10mm bolts in my engine bay with a little hand held wrench. I think they break under about 30 inch pounds of torque. I don't know how well they'll hold against an engine for a while.</div>

I haven't. It didn't even twist the bracket as it sits in those pics, so I doubt it would damage the bolt holes. You could always get some stronger bolts if you are worried about it. The problem is, as I stated above, we don't have the room to really put it anywhere else, because of the cruise control unit. I'm not designing or advocating the sale of multiple brackets to fit different situations either.

Also, if you look at the angle of the bracket, the force is going against the strut tower, not in a shear manner. I think it'll be okay, but I'll send both units to the guy making the brackets, so he can see if he has any better ideas.

Again, I COULD make one that goes around 2 of the 3 strut studs at the top, but then if you have a strut bar, you are screwed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Feb 10 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^ he's right. i've stripped those 10mm ones and by god what a pain in the butt. my vote goes to the bracket screwing into both coolant fluid reservoir holes, then the reservoir bracket on top and there you go, no cutting and extra support.</div>

No vote needed HKC, if you read the first post, that's what I already said we were doing. I couldn't do it with this bracket, it was too thick.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mwood @ Feb 10 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i can't wait to get this and see how it is along with solid motot mount</div>

I wouldn't see a point of these with solid motor mounts other than looks. Solid mounts aren't going to move.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sea-Ray Tech @ Feb 10 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Can you still keep your timing cover? Looks pretty close, either way i'm definitly buying one.</div>

Yes, you can. One of the pics is from up top, and it's got about 1 inch or more of clearance.

Glad you guys are mostly happy, if you have a helpful suggestion that wasn't already covered, please submit it. You can look on that side of the car, but we just don't have much room unfortunately, or many mount points. Also, the damper needs to be STRAIGHT in line with the direction of travel. This cuts out a LOT of possiblities.

We COULD JUST do a bracket to go on the strut tower bolts, but again, folks with strut bars would be screwed, or need to do something custom for that one bracket.

Which would drop sales in about 1/2.

It might work that way, now that I think of it. Do it to the strut tower bar, then just offer a 4 inch long tab that can be welded on to a strut bar bracket seperately?

My dad could weld mine on.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:31 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

you are right REDZ but i was not putting on solid motor mount until i finish gathering items for turbo kit...so this will help until them and might even be better
Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, just as long as it looks like it will withstand 9999 horsepower worth of engine torquing it should be fine.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:42 AM

count me in for 2 =)
Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 PM

^^^
WTF would you need 2 for? LOL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mwood @ Feb 10 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>you are right REDZ but i was not putting on solid motor mount until i finish gathering items for turbo kit...so this will help until them and might even be better</div>

Honestly, with how little my engine moves now, I see no need at ALL for new mounts. I think new mounts WOULD make it vibrate with this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Feb 11 2008, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, just as long as it looks like it will withstand 9999 horsepower worth of engine torquing it should be fine.</div>

Unkay. Who's pushing even 300 WHP here? About 10 folks?

The bracket that is going to be made will be similar to the Weapon R bracket, and fit under your strut bar bracket. 1/8 inch steel. We may have to use the longer damper, but I'll let you guys know more next week.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

I'm not a fan of how close this is to the timing belt, but it looks good.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 PM

Trust me, no worries with the belt.

If your belt were to somehow hit this, you have HUGE problems, your belt would have been thrown off.