Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Newbie In Need, Could Be Tragic Indeed

Old 05-30-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Well how she go all?

Listen here, i am 16 and a newbie with tibs. I have purchased a 98 shark, yes very pretty but i have to say my ride needs some new balls. I have drivin her fairly hard for about a week now and i need some suggestions on where to start with a limited budget. Your site has been very helpful but i'd like to here from other newbies on what people are doin to make this beast a little quicker. I have a good enough audio and the exterior im not worried about yet. For performance i have a full exhaust system from what i can tell. Also new NGK plugs are on the way and NGK iridiums are waiting to be installed. But other then that i dont know where to go to get the best bang for my buck!?!
Please any help is nice!

holeshot
Old 05-30-2006, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

welcome to the site. wavey.gif

resonator removal

TB coolant bypass

those 2 are free. the first one you should do if you don't have the cash to install a Cold Air Intake right away.

oh: sidenote. try to pay attn to your typing. i edited your post to make it grammatically correct so others wouldn't rip on ya tongue.gif
Old 05-30-2006, 07:41 PM

I live in Canada can i still do the coolant bypass..res is done already..also intake could very well be on the way. If anyone has some inexpensive yet usefull parts to sell please hit me up.

C Rob
Old 05-30-2006, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sure you can do the TB Bypass. A lot of folks up there have it done.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:15 PM

"Newbie In Need, Could Be Tragic Indeed"

Is it time to rhyme or should we pantomime? wink1.gif

TB coolant is supposedly related to emissions--getting the cat warmed up faster--not preventing the butterfly from freezing shut. I've never seen a report of a problem one any car forum as a result of this popular mod.

If you're on a budget I would go for an injen or aem CAI knockoff from ebay. paranoid.gif
Old 05-30-2006, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Get a CAI first... An AEM knockoff will do.

You said that you already have a full exhaust, so I'm guessing you mean a header-back setup?

If so, a BBTB & bored IM would be good next.

If you are staying n/a, save up for a nice lumpy camshaft & ECU combo from Airborne, one of our Korean members. Otherwise, save up for a turbo setup.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fonseca @ May 30 2006, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>"Newbie In Need, Could Be Tragic Indeed"

Is it time to rhyme or should we pantomime? wink1.gif

TB coolant is supposedly related to emissions--getting the cat warmed up faster--not preventing the butterfly from freezing shut. I've never seen a report of a problem one any car forum as a result of this popular mod.

If you're on a budget I would go for an injen or aem CAI knockoff from ebay. paranoid.gif</div>

you gangsta ryhmes...thanx for the ideas guys keepem comin...i have a it hink a full exhuast and by that i mean i have a question for u (being anyone) My exhaust is pretty much strait back all the way stainless steel. I dont have a header yet so it hooks up to the manifold. Now is is possible to run a cat right off the manifold beacuse i dont have one underneath? If so then that be then that be how she looks...i will post pics if they are wanted. Were in Canada can i get parts?

thanx again

C Rob
Old 05-31-2006, 12:45 AM

In Canada you can get parts from the USA. smile.gif

A header will eliminate your current cat. So if you get one (ssautochrome are $175 + S/H on ebay), you should get a high flow cat and have it welded into your exhaust after the flex pipe. You will want to relocate your second O2 sensor to behind the new cat.

A header will be better
But get a cat if you do that.
If your sensor is moved
You'll be CEL approved.
Your Tib will then growl
But don't run afoul
O them mounties.

I've been drinking. alcoholic.gif
Old 05-31-2006, 01:59 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

rolleyes.gif

This thread is going to hell in a handbasket
Glad you found our site, if you've got a question, just ask it.
Will help you fix it when it breaks
but til then, I suggest a Cold Air Intake
Old 05-31-2006, 03:03 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

First of all when you say it needs balls..are you driving an auto or a 5spd?

Best place to start is with an AEM CAI (please get an AEM, the others are just not worth your time, except the AEM knockoff if you really need to save that extra $). There's lots of CAIs on ebay, once you start looking for one do some SEARCHING and you should be able to find out the difference between all the CAIs, pros/cons, and pictures so you know what to buy and what not to buy. If you have trouble searching, make a post and we'll answer it..but beware because you'll get b****ed at if you don't search beforehand!

Headers and cats and exhausts and stuff gets more complicated, worry about that once you get to it. Best way to get familiar with your car is to do the TB bypass and install a CAI.

BTW if you have a stainless steel exhaust all the way back but a stock exhaust manifold, then you have what is called a cat-back exhaust.

fons.....LOL. i have nothing left to say.

Welcome!