Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Get To Know Me, A Introduction With Questions

Old 02-22-2007, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heya all, i'm a 20 year-old male (or at least last time I checked) that goes by the name Matt, Matti, Matt-a-choo (a story within it's self), or Tanner, a liked-it-before-it-was-big drifting fan, a former Seattle, Washington citizen that now lives in Urbana, Illinios kind of dude.

I hail from other cars like the Mazda RX-3, RX-7 (3rd Gen), Lexus SC300 (Toyota Soarer), and a 1973 Super Beetle. I'm wanting to start a new project and just recently ran across the Tiburon and found it interesting, not to popular, and has great potential.

I've been looking around for information about the 2nd generation Tiburons and haven't been able to find much, looking around I found my way here from NEWTIBURON.COM.

Anyway i'm happy to find another Tiburon dedicated site, if anyone could provide links to/information about the Tiburon 2nd gen models it would be greatly appreciated. Basically I am wanting to invest money into a Tiburon performance wise, and would like to know which model of the Tiburon (2nd gen preferably) I should hunt after to buy, since I assume there was a "Sport/Race"? model made for enthusiasts to make it more aerodynamic/lighter/perform better.

Nice to meet everyone, and I hope to join you all and be a fellow Tib' owner soon ;).
Old 02-22-2007, 01:04 AM

Welcome to the site fing02.gif

Unfortunately there wasn't a widespread release of "Sport/Race" models (aka F2 Evo) and you'd be hard pressed to find one but the F2 was only Gen 1. Gen 2, you're gonna have to make it a "Sport/Race" model unless you can find a real "Turbulence" from Korea, where even then its not a huge difference... The differences in RD2 models are mainly cosmetic differences...

Here's a link to the UK Hyundai Coupe Site. Its the only thing I have bookmarked right now that tells a bit about each model...

Hope this helps...
Old 02-22-2007, 01:18 AM

welcome to the forums laugh.gif
Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

welcome to the furoms matt
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

welcome man glad to see another RD2 guy round
Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

welcome to the forums.

first of all, i hope you enjoy your stay here.. if you have any questions, please run a search on the topic first, and you might find ALL the information you need. if not, ask us in the appropriate forum.

the differences in the rd2, which is 00-01, the model i have are mostly cosmetic differences.. they only came with the 2.0L motor, and there were no power upgrades.

the 'beta' which is the motor in all the tibs, has AMAZING potential. we have a member on here that pushed 407whp with JUST cast pistons done to the motor, and NO transmission upgrades, except a high powered clutch.

we also have a member on here pushing about 300whp on a COMPLETELY stock motor thats pushing ~15psi.

the base tiburon performs pretty well out of the box, IMO. i really liked it when my car was stock, from the sound of the exhaust, the handling was pretty good, and the motor had a lil kick to it. now that i am turbocharged, i cant even remember what a base tib felt like.. its kinda sad.

we have OK aftermarket support as far as performance stuff goes. most of it comes out of korea. Seoulfulracing.com has a bunch of aftermarket parts for us. NEX makes pretty reasonable coilovers, eibach has some other great suspension parts, some members make some custom turbo kits, etc.

and depending on where you want to go with your car, may it be looks, performance, handling, we can direct you in the right direction.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yep, you'll find the Beta motor to be a very reliable platform, we're a small group but we've got quite a few Tibs that'll push some power running around.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 AM

Welcome

Turbo is the only way to go if you want power. The Beta Motor can take all the boost you put in her. But you have to make a coustom kit since noone realy makes a bolt on kit for us.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

MANY of your questions will be answered by reading the Site FAQ here: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=4980
That describes the differences between RD1 (1st gen, 96-99), and RD2 (2nd gen, 00-01), then there is the GK (3rd gen, 03+, these are the guys on NewTiburon).

The only real "sport/race" model is going to be either the F2 Evolution (1st gen only, the official rally car) from the UK, or the Turbulence (2nd gen only) from Korea. There was also some weird German one that had like a wood-gran interior, but it was ugly IMO. Anyway, the US never saw any of these. All we had were different options, leather, sunroof, spoiler, foglights, etc...pretty standard stuff.

The F2 coupe was a 2.0 with a 1.8 intake cam, modified air intake, and slightly larger exhaust. It also came with some cool cosmetic differences, such as the "F2 Evolution" badges, spoiler, exhaust tip, and the famous "F2 bumper" (because it was a rally car)
The Turbulence was nothing more than an RD2 with a different spoiler, "type-R spoiler", and cooler sideskirts "turby skirts". All OEM. You can buy them straight from Hyundai in Korea at a reasonable price also, do some searching for pictures and more info.

RD Tiburons are a pretty rare breed, and we have a pretty small community here. But, this is definitely one of the most dedicated and best car forums on the internet.

Welcome smile.gif

The MOST and most general information you will find about RD Tiburons will come from reading the FAQ and forum "sticky's".

I HIGHLY suggest you read all of these.

If you are looking for specific information, there is no site that will give you more information about tibs than this one. Use the search button before asking questions though!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Some 1996-1999 Tiburons came with a 1.8L engine, some with 2.0
All 2000-2001 Tiburons came with a 2.0 engine

Whether you get a 1st gen or 2nd gen depends on your styling tastes. Not much more than that.

Some 1st gens have captive rotors that can prove to be a PITA if you want aftermarket wheels.

We've had a few of our members selling their cars lately, so you might be able to find a great deal right here. Our engine's will last a long time (whereas the automatic transmissions may only last 60,000 miles). I'm at 130,000 miles and still strong, as are quite a few other members.

Depending on how much you want to spend, we have a member here who is selling her car up in Maryland. It's a red show car, been sponsored by Meguiar's and Corbeau. Not sure what performance is done to the engine, but I think it's minimal, giving you a clean start. Best of all, it's a 2001 and only has 55,000 miles on it.
http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=20808

-----
BTW, if you want to buy mine from me, I'd be willing to let you have it for $9,500 wink1.gif and I'll drop it off in your driveway