Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Complete And Utter Noob - Questions

Old 05-13-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Proud owner of a 2001 5 speed tibby. Bought it new, and its served me (reasonably) well for 5 years now. Im a complete moron when it comes to cars... I was planning on holding off messing around with it till the 100,000 mile warranty ran out (Im at 60,000 now), but I can't wait.

Aside from the paint job and some slightly better than stock tires, its completely stock right now. Here's a couple pictures...

Additionally, I had a little mishap while trying to drive it into work during last Thanksgiving's snowstorm 02.gif ...

Ok, here are my newb questions...

What are some relatively cheap/free things I can do to boost my performance? Im also looking for things that will boost gas mileage.

Im currently looking at the AEM cold air intake kit. Any suggestions with regards to that?

Can someone give me a list of upgrades to the car in order of best bang for the buck?

A friend quoted me $1,000 to repair the damage to the car, is he trying to rip me off?
Old 05-13-2006, 08:06 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Hi and welcome!

For $1000 I will come from Ukraine and repair it for you, lol. Mang that's the way TOO much!
Old 05-13-2006, 08:17 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

For 1000 bux... yeah you ARE indeed getting ripped off! heh

As for you question on cheap/free things to do to your car, Click this > Clicky
Its a butt load of things you can do to your car, step by step guides and pictures to help along the way.

AEM CAI, GREAT choice to start with!! You are on the right track, next you'll probably want to get headers and an exhaust. Then you could go for some plug wires. Those will help a lot when it comes to power and maybe even a little more on your MPG. smile.gif
Old 05-13-2006, 09:39 AM

Cool, thanks for the tips...

It was suggested to me that I consider installing some kind of a chip/ECU; something that would boost the low end power since it is one of the things that is severely lacking on the tibby.. Any suggestions for this?

One thing Im good with is computers.. I'd love to be able to plug my laptop in and do diagnostics, if that's possible. When my dealer charged me 80 bucks for a diagnostics fee, and 230 to replace some spark plugs and reset the ECU, that made up my mind..

... Oh, can I have an idea how much I should expect to spend on the cosmetic repairs?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Welcome to the site, remember, most of the modifications you do to your car won't void any warranty, so get modding mang!

First thing I'd do is go to our DIY section and do the Resonator Removal and Throttle Body bypass.

They are both free, and you will DEFINATELY see improvements in your throttle response and power. You'll be an addict from then on.

From there, get the AEM CAI as you have planned, and install it. After that, I'd work on the exhaust and headers, then the intake manifold and throttle body, so your car can breathe and fart as good as possible.

Do lots of searching here, you'll find lots of good info.

As for your fender, your "Friend" is ripping you off, you can get a whole car painted for that. Go on ebay and search, there's a few folks that will sell you a fender, painted to the color code of your choice, for under $300.

There is no "ECU" or "Chip" that's going to help your N/A tib much. Do the other modifications you have listed and then come back for more. Low end power will DEFINATELY pick up once you do some of those basic mods. Also, move your shift point higher in the RPM band, like to 4K RPM. In the Tib, life begins above 3K RPM my friend, so feel free to take it up higher more often. It's a tough engine.

You can do diagnostics easily, search on these forums about OBDII Readers, or the internet in general. We have some discounts with Digimoto (SEARCH!) and they have great software and cable packages.

Wow, your dealer charged you over 300 bucks for what would have cost you $5. You can get your codes read for free at Autozone, and sparkplugs are about a buck a piece. The reset is simple, and is in the DIY section.

Search a lot, read and ask before you buy, and stop getting ripped off.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:17 AM

Thanks again for the help... Printing out the DIY for the resonator removal, gonna give that a try now...
Old 05-13-2006, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

what part of CT are you from?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

Welcome to the site!!! fing02.gif
Old 05-13-2006, 12:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparticus @ May 13 2006, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>what part of CT are you from?</div>

Granby

With regards to the throttle body bypass...
Do I need to plug off the coolant intakes on the stock throttle body or can I just leave them alone?
Old 05-13-2006, 12:48 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Yes 1,000 is definitely a rip off.

Get the AEM CAI, it will probably be your favorite mod you do to your car (until you get more stuff that is wink1.gif)

Please any questions you have (since you're a newb with cars as you said i'm guessin 90% of your questions have already been covered on here) so just search the site and read topics, you'll learn A LOT.
Trust me, when I first got my car I didn't even know how to use a ratchet, now thanks to this site i've basically installed everything on my car myself.