Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Would an airbag break your arms or hands?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by Red Raspberry
Good thing these air bags didn't go off.

^^Another reason to add to my list of negatives for the Gen Coupes

On topic, yes, air bags can most certainly break your wrist and hand. I have a friend who had to give up her musical career because of an accident she was in. Hit her horn, air bag deployed, and shattered her wrist.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

I don't know the story other than they were hit by a truck. They did walk away with just minor injuries. It had to flip and land hard square on the roof I would think.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai x3

Thats fine losing a musical career due to broken wrist... what would brain damage or even spinal damage do to her musical career...

to take it one step further death..

It seams bad but the same situation without it means that it would have been way worse... the car on its roof, the reason the airbags didn't deploy is because the air bag on the steering wheel is for a frontal collision.. there is no damage to the front of the car... if it were to deploy in that situation would not only be a waste of time but also dangerous so guess what?? the engineers with degrees and qualifications in this field that have masses of scientific evidence to prove how safe airbags are and how they save lives have set it up so that they only work when they can help..

A car on it's roof without a collision is a very low percentage crash.. very hard to design for something that is a 1 in 100 billion chance..
Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tib

A deer jumped off a cliff and landed on my sunfire while I was doing 110 kms/hr, the airbag broke my wifes thumb as she was holding a mug of coffee in the passangers seat.......
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

By that logic, if your feet are on the dashboard, the airbag would break your face. The knees would break the face, and the breaking mug broke your wife's thumb. Sorry to hear that, BTW -I'm hoping she made a proper recovery?