Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Whole Stereo System Gone To Hell

Old 09-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. So for the past little while, when I turn on the car, my sub would work for about 2 minutes and then cut out. The only way to get the sub working again was to turn the power off on the cd player, and turn it back on and it would work for a minute or 2 and then cut out again.

So I got tired of this and decided to check the battery for corrosion around the terminal .There was a little bit, so I scraped it off, and put the cable back on. Now since then ,nothing works. the cd player wont turn on, the amp doesnt light up showing there is power going to it. I checked the fuses today and all seem fine. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do next??
Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Check the big power wire for 12V at the amp, should have it.

Your issue is the CD player it sounds like. The amp wont turn on without it. Check the wiring to the CD player along with the CD player fuse if you havent. Check the fuses on the cd player. If you have power at the red and yellow wire with ignition on and good fuses, you need a new CD player. I think I covered enough to check and get things started.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM

I checked the fuse on my power wire, the fuse on the amp and the fuse in the fuse box for audio. I will have to check the fuse on the cd player. I will also check for voltage at the amp. Thanks for the help. fing02.gif

UPDATE: Pulled out the cd player to check fuse. Fuse is fine. Played around with the wires a little bit. Turned on the car ,and everything is working again .Weird. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If the amp is going into protection, cycling power off-on would reset the circuit... did this just start happening after it had been working great, or did you wire up a lower-impedance load (new subs) or did anything else change? It sounds like you may want to go double-check all the power and ground connections too, especially the main line from the battery, if removing/reinstalling it killed the whole system.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think its just not getting the right power from the head unit. If the CD player isnt working I think that needs to work first. Then checking power at the amp at the main 12V then the remote wire.

For sure sounds like the amp was getting hot and protecting itself though also.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

not to steal your thread or anything, but what about if you can only turn your head unit up to like 20 and then it like cuts out and restarts, how do you fix that?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You get a new head unit or start your own thread?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

^^lol harsh but true.

and his response is still on topic so its cool.

the best thing to do when you think your HU is on the fritz is to buy a new one, and just use the old one till it dies OR sell it quickly before it dies