Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

What should I do to REpaint my dash?

Old 01-08-2002, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do to REpaint my dash?

I painted my dash to red, but I made few mistake here and there (first time painting). So since I now have more knowledge, I am planning to repaint my dash with different color. What steps should I do to repaint dash?
Old 01-08-2002, 12:03 PM

Yeah I here yah...

I went from Yellow to Purple, sand, sand, sand then primer and then paint.

smile.gif
Old 01-08-2002, 12:30 PM

So do I have to send old clear coat, paint, and clear coat, then repaint it with new primer, paint, and clear coat? (Is clear coat sandable?)

By the way, I had trouble taking off 2 parts from my car. One is a round center air conditioning vent. Another is the cover for automatic Window button. How do I take 'em off? (I just put tape over it first time I painted it and the result was terrible ~~)
Old 01-08-2002, 12:56 PM

You can sand anything!
BTW, What kinda paint did you use?

As for the parts that you are having problems taking out,...
The AC vents,... which do you mean A or B???
(I know it's from a 1st gen but it's the only one I could find)

And the auto window thing, do you mean the WHOLE cover for all of the buttons on the driver's A side or just the buttons? B?

Info would help me help you

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: KayJai ]
Old 01-08-2002, 01:33 PM

Both A. I used cheap Krylonic (I think that is the brand) paint from Wal Mart. And I regret my choice. Next time, I'm gonna use better quality paint. Is there any good auto interior paint other than SEM?
Old 01-08-2002, 02:42 PM

Ok,... just outta curiousity,... you did take the dash and door panel off of the car first right?

Cuz once take the door off, and the plastic panel there will be 2 connectors holding the window switch unit thing on, it just clips off and once you have the whole door panel off, you'll notice the window switch box, held on via plastic clips, careful with these ones. I think there are 4? (Not 100% sure, it's been a while) unclip them, then pop the window switch unit up. Should just come off. Then with the window switch unit out, you should see more plastic panel clips holding the cover on, pop those and carefully pop this off. Pretty easy once you look at it.

As for the vents, on the 2nd gens there are screws holding them down behind, once you get the screws off, there are 4 metal clips that clip them onto the main dash unit.

Hoped that Help
Old 01-08-2002, 02:43 PM

BTW, have you checked out CyberGreg's site?
He's got a pretty good DIY guide on how to take the dash apart: http://communities.msn.com/HyundaiTiburon/...diysection.msnw
Old 01-08-2002, 03:10 PM

Well I did take everything off. However I saw two metal things holding that window switch box from the bottom. The problem was that I couldn't move these metal stuff so that I could move the box... it did not move at all. Any suggestion?

BTW I did check his site whole 3 months before I began to paint my dash smile.gif

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Silver_Tibby ]
Old 01-08-2002, 03:37 PM

Hmmm, I'll have to ask J@WS01,... we just did his dash this past weekend,...
Hang tight.

He'll probably reply tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:49 PM

Thanx for help CyberGreg and KayJai. By the way, any paint brand recommendation? (other than SEM)