Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Turn Signals Broke On Me?

Old 08-14-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

K, I thought I had all my problems fixed but now I'm really screwed. I think...

Here's the original problem:
When I had my headlights on and turned on my turn signal (left) the interior lights would flash on and off intermitently with the left turn arrow. It also did this with the hazard switch but NOT the right turn signal.

A few weeks ago the problem fixed itself and I just left it at that.
Yesterday I took off my dash and put it back on (for something else) and drove around. Last night I found out the problem came back and after 10minutes of experiencing the problem the turn signals quit working. The interior lights still light up fine but the turn signals and hazard switch DO NOT WORK AT ALL. Even outside the car as well.

I figured I shorted a fuse and I was right. I shorted the "Hazard" fuse which is a 10A fuse. I replaced it and also decided to find out what is casuing this problem.

I found out two of the wires that come out of the back of the hazard switch were touching (Specifically the left and right turn power wires). I used electrical tape to seperate them and to make sure they wouldn't touch any more metal/wires etc.

After replacing the fuse and fixing the wires I tried again. Now the hazards work (inside arrows light up and outside flashes/lights up). BUT....

THE TURN SIGNALS STILL DON'T WORK. The arrows inside the car don't light up AND the turn signals outside the car don't light up. It doesn't even tick inside. WTF? I plugged the hazard switch back in, I had to have I mean the hazards work.
.........?

Is this problem fixable without extensive re-wiring? I sure hope so. But if I have to go back inside, behind the crash pad and re-wire the turn signals wires that lead to the hazard switch i will. I'm tired of using hand signals....

PLZ HELP!

*mad Mod edit* Fixed your double post!

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN EXTRA HAZARD SWITCH FOR A 1997-1999 TIBURON?

I really need one to test if my hazard switch went on me. I will pay shipping (express) and send it back to your if the problem persists. If it works with the new one I will buy it off you.

I don't feel like paying 108.00 dollars at the dealer when I know someone has an extra lying around. I need this fast if you have one could you arrange to have it shipped the day you read this? I'll paypal you money for shipping.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

01Tibby has a few I belive.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:22 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I have one.

Is it possible you just forgot to plug the hazard switch in (or plugged the wrong connector in the hazard one) that would cause your problem and also intermittently blow fuses..mindlessdoubt had the exact same thing happen to him and I told him to check his hazard wire harness connector and sure enough it was switched around with another one.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Are you able to directly tap into the wires to a 9v battery or something to test if the circuit is completing? The Hazard wires crossing definitely could have shorted out the turn signals as well, check those fuses. I honestly wouldn't think anything else should be affected by the wires touching. The fuses probably blew, but that's what they're there for, so the fuses blow and it prevents it from going any further. Check your turn signal fuses also... I'm not sure how the wires were exposed, but try touching them to a small 9v battery to see if they activate.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:40 PM

I've checked every single fuse in my car. The only one I blew was number 4 under the dash (Hazard). All others are fine including 9 and 14.

I know it's not some mindless mistake like trying to turn the signals on without the key in on position. I've been troubleshooting the problem ALL DAY. i talked with tibby01 for a good hour or so and he helped em understand the schematics for al the wiring. I just got a multimeter which I will use tomorrow (when it's light outside) to test various wires powering the turn signals, hazard switch, etc.

It should isolate the problem. I'm thinking it's one of these three:

Shorted Hazard Swicth
Shorted left multifunction control arm
shorted wire somewhere in the circuit.

the two wires exposed behind the hazard switch were the power wires for the left adn right turn signals. I was going to tap into them for sidemarker-type thingys but found out the product was defective. When I put everything back into it's place I forgot about the exposed wires (right next to each other). But they are seperated now and the blown fuse (number4) is replaced (with the same rated fuse...I know I already though of that).

But still doesn't work. So the multimeter should decide what part I have to buy or what wire is shorted.

Check thread for results tomorrow afternoon.

Zoned, I'll talk to you on AIM. Hopefully you can help me out with the hazard switch...

-patrick
Old 08-15-2005, 10:45 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG! i'm am so happy right now.

I fixed my damn turn signals after blood, sweat, and no tears....but it was two days of shit i had to go through.

Big thanks to tibby01, you da man. seriously couldnt' of done it without ya'
you'll get my business in return whenever you're ready (I need my heater control LED-ed up!!!)

Turns out it was the flasher unit, which is between the multifunction lever and the hazard switch. Thank god a wire wasn't cut or broken somewhere, it's a TIGHT fir back behind that steering wheel. PACKED with wires. Anyway, I'm so glad thsi is over..I've been in like 3 near crashes cuz i have no turn signals past two days.

Thanks again guys, this site rules!!!!!!

hail.gif RDTiburon.com
Old 08-15-2005, 11:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Congrats doode.

BTW, Hand Signals are still legal.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:14 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

great to hear man. was it noticeably broken?

where did you end up getting a new one?