Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

SONY Equipment

Old 11-16-2002, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default SONY Equipment

I'm thinking about changing my entire sound system to 100% Sony. Amps, subs, mids, highs, and deck. I already have Sony monitors, and a DVD player sitting in my shop from my 2K. My question, is what are your thoughts on it all? I'm not into SPL or SQ+ tournaments. I just like something that's loud, and pretty clear. I can get insane deals on Sony stuff through a friend, and I've heard some 6x9's and component sets and they sounded pretty decent. But if I get everything in Sony, how do you think it'll sound? Also, how are the subs? I know they're not rated at anything really big, but do they still give a good boom?

My current system is all MTX stuff except for the subs, in which I DID have Alpine Type R, but then got rid of them (since they blew) and now I have Infinity Perfect 10's in a spare tire well enclosure. I love MTX stuff, and have always stuck with them (they were one of my sponsors), but I think it's time for something completely different.

I know alot of people do have Sony equipment in their rides, but their systems don't entirely consist of the same manufacturer. Thanks for any help you peeps can give. wink
Old 11-16-2002, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the sony headunit, MP70 something or another....and I have last years model xplod headunit also. I love the headunits.
I have 2 10" xplod subs, and 2 6x9 xplod's and their 760w amp......and hate them. I blew both the subs within 3 days of buying them. They didn't sound that great anyhow. The amp kinda lacked power also....compared to lower wattage Rockford Fosgates I've used in the past. *shrug*

just my $.02
Old 11-16-2002, 04:34 AM

yeah, i agree. their head units are decent, but the rest of their stuff is crap.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:54 AM

I had the first gen Sony Dual Face HU (something like **X-650) and i loved it for my FIRST aftermarket deck. Then i got the Pioneer DEH-P6400 and i never knew there were so many more adjustable features sony didn't offer. (and then the Alpine HU totally blew my mind) I also put the sony deck that had no buttons and 2 remotes in my freinds car, and he really likes it for his first aftermarket HU also. But both sony units were prone to skipping on any sorta rough road. That's all the info i have to offer.
Old 11-16-2002, 06:27 AM

ill add my 2 cents too then

I also have a sony head unit and i love the best one ive ever had and i went through a couple brands like JVC,awia and poineer the sony was the best heads down made my system sound alot better with the xplod setting matched with the DSO that the sony's have.

So after that i bought some sony 6X9's and i can honestly say that my factory hyundai speakers sounded better.

after that i didnt buy the subs or the amps so i dont know about them.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:02 AM

get image dynamic speakers and dei amps. lol
Old 11-16-2002, 08:50 AM

i personally dislike sony for car audio, the cd player i had skipped, the subs i had blew after a week. and there high end isnt that great sounding to me. but i do love there house stuff.

[ November 16, 2002, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: xxxmonoxidechild ]
Old 11-16-2002, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Yeah Josh, I agree with most everyone. Sony's speakers, subs, and amps blow. I have a Sony head unit that is EXCELLENT, but my Sony speakers suck... not just suck for aftermarket, but suck, period.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

*lol* Ok..thanks everyone. Guess I'll have to figure something else out. I just wanted an audio/video system that was entirely all the same manufacturer. Hmmmm...maybe Pioneer, or Rockford....
Old 11-17-2002, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I've got Sony Speakers, AMPS and Subs...with the stock head unit. It works great, and sounds good.
The Key to Sony is you MUST buy the "ES" line. If it is not their "ES" line, it is crap.

I worked for a division of Sony for quite some time. We were offered insane discounts on Sony Products. At the employee store, folks were always bringing back broken Sony stuff. They RARElY (I won't say never) brought back "ES" components (Home, or car audio)...but the lower level products often broke.

As long as you go with the ES subs, amps and speakers, you should have no problem. If you go with the cheaper stuff...you get what you pay for.