Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Short Shifter

Old 06-06-2001, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter

Just had a thought....could I cut down the stock shifter and knerall in new threads? Or would it be too low? Or is there different structure to allow for a low shifting height? Also do we have any pic's of short shifters?
Old 06-06-2001, 01:54 PM

Actually, it look like I could just cut off the extended arm and tac <weld> on a nut to the base of it...and then screw in a threaded rod <steel 1020 or CRS> on my shifter knob..it's attached with set screws so..only one side would need threads..even better...drill out little dimples for the three set screws...now my question...Does this make logical sense? Does that other arm do anything more than the stock arm? Please advise
Old 06-06-2001, 01:57 PM

And what are we doing for boots afterwords? Cutting down the stock leather one to a custom size? Or do we need to buy another type boot?
Old 06-06-2001, 09:22 PM

No one has any thoughts on this?
Old 06-06-2001, 10:39 PM

Random....anyone....I might try it at lunch time today...

to cut it down and add some dimples for my set screws..Please advise if the second part <one not connected to the shifter> is different to the stock one. If not....swing swing swing and chop chop chop...
Old 06-06-2001, 10:53 PM

Dude I have been thinking about doing this to. As far as it looks it looks like it would shorten the throw front to back but not side to side. and I think it would look just as good as if you bought one. Hopefully random will respond but I beleive the front to back throw would be shorter (not sur thow so don't take my word on it)
Old 06-06-2001, 10:58 PM

That makes sense. Which in turn would be better than the stock setup. Correct? Now on the left to right throw....hrmmmm....Do we have any pictures of the bottom piece out of a Shark? So that I can compare the two side by side?
Old 06-06-2001, 11:00 PM

Yeah sharkracing.com got there and look they have a picture but in all reallity if I am right this would be a cheaper way to go ALOT CHEAPER ($103 compared to $0 hhhmmmmmmmm). I just hope I'm right but it is logical.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:14 PM

I need a picture of how the "stock" piece looks. What im doing is....copy/paste into publisher and scaling to size..and comparing the four different pieces. But I need a pic of the stock bottom piece before I can continue to save $103.00. So that that money can be used for real mod's like.....TAILS/CLEAR CORNERS/NOS..hehe j/k....Some one take a picture for me...or find it...there has to be a photo of the stock bottom piece {the one without the shifter knob attached to it} And about the boot for it???? It is my understanding that we need to "cut" the boot off to do this mod. Is that true? I guess I will mess with it at lunch time...[just looking at how the boot is attached to the plastic cover....Any thoughts/comments..please?
Old 06-06-2001, 11:31 PM

Kewl, sound nice and eazy. Now I just need some stock pictures.