Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Removing dashboard

Old 12-15-2004, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EBAY ALERT: RD1 in New Jersey/New York for CHEAP!

I finally figured out how I wanna do my interior. It involves not only painting the curvy parts of the dashboard, but the rest of it, where the passengers side airbag is and all up in there.

Anyone know how to take that part out? I dont wanna have to tape everything off. I know how to get the curvy parts off already. Also, anyone got any tips on priming that surface? I've never painted that type of surface before.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Shark Emblem

Tibby01 knows how to.

There are also directions on Webtech, but I think talking to chris would prob help more.

Instead of painting it, try to find some vinyl dye that matches your color scheme, it will save you a couple of steps. (Mainly prep)
Old 12-15-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Removing dashboard

yeah I'd rather talk to a human being. lol.gif
Old 12-15-2004, 01:42 PM

I'd be nervous the air bag would go off. wink.gif
Old 12-15-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Shark Emblem

QUOTE (Arch93086)

Thats why you take them out and throw them away. Hyundai's airbags dont go off when they need to anyway. All they are good for is looks and adding a few pounds.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:06 PM

The air bags wont go off, IF you disconnect the battery AND pull the fuses.

Why? b/c the sensors wont have any power to tell the computer to deploy them.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:13 PM

QUOTE (UltraTibby)
QUOTE (Arch93086)

Thats why you take them out and throw them away. Hyundai's airbags dont go off when they need to anyway. All they are good for is looks and adding a few pounds.

I had a 1986 Volkswagen Cabriolet w/o bags and I was terrified I was gonna hit something so I wouldn't consider taking them out.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:16 PM

Location: Lillington, NC & Maryville, TN when I can get there

They are more trouble then they are worth.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: FS: Stock Corners, Taillights, and Head Unit

well, its not recommended, but i was constantly taking off and putting my steering wheel back on in the parking lot at my work, to get the alignment of the teeth right and to get the thing straight. had to take the airbag off every time, never disconnected the battery. i think i did disconnect the fuse though.

anyway, the directions on webtech are pretty much right on. the only areas i had trouble with were the glovebox area(took out more bolts than i needed to) and an area by the cluster. for the glovebox area, the bolts were in there super-tight. you will need to put a coule extensions together to get to them too, unless you have one super long one. for the cluster area problem, there are clamps that hold the crash pad tight, and they are IMPOSSIBLE to get to with a straight extension. i had to buy an angled socket adapter to get it off.

of course, you will need a steering wheel puller(autozone for like 10 bucks). just be careful to get the bolts that hold in STRAIGHT. the metal in the wheel is kinda soft. by the end, they def. werent going in straight for me, but they kept holding enough to pop the thing off, even though they were stripped to hell.

just make sure you get all the bolts(think there are like 5 or so) and disconnect the harness. if you need help, you can post here and tell me to get on aim or something(i never just turn the thing on).

oh, the times. im going to do it again once i get around to installing my alarm.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:42 PM

Default Re: EBAY ALERT: RD1 in New Jersey/New York for CHEAP!

8O

hot damn.

Well, I'll have to show the boyfriend that and see if he can do it, cause I certainly dont think I can. Maybe I'll just drop some cash and have an audio shop do it, like when I get my flip out screen and stuff like that. Or maybe I'll just suck it up and tape off everything.

thanks 8)