Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Power Locks - Wiring

Old 11-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car came with power-assisted locks, and I decided to use the keyless entry interface on my alarm. I've already mounted and connected the actuator, mechanically everything is OK.

My alarm has a a 2 wire interface for the keyless entry, a -Lock (green) and -Unlock (blue). The actuator also has a blue and a green wire. Connecting these 2 wires (colour-coded or otherwise) does nothing, the actuator sits lifeless when i arm/unarm the alarm.

I had assumed that since flipping the driver lock flips the passenger one, all I would need the alarm to do is activate the actuator. The alarm manual came with diagrams for installing the system on Negative, Positive and 5 Wire Reversal type locks, with only the Negative Trigger System not needing relays.

Do i need to add relays into the circuit in order for this to work? (And which type of locking system do the RD1's have?)

TIA

Old 11-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

You are correct - if flipping the driver's side switch will unlock/lock the other door, you only need one actuator.

Ok so a 2-wire actuator usually works like this: you put power through it in one direction - it locks; if you pot power through it in the other direction - it unlocks. So you need a circuit that does that.

Many alarms will have wires that do that already, check the instructions of the alarm again. From what it sounds though, the manual has relay diagrams for this configuration, so you probably need them.

I suspect the "-lock" and "-unlock" wires work like this: when it locks, it temporarily connects the -lock wire to GND for a little while (at all other times the wire is not connected to GND). Same when it unlocks for the other wire. You can use two relays to convert this to what you want. Check out the12volt.com to understand how relays work and stuff. Basically your configuration will be something like this:

Relays have 5 wires: 2 for the coil, and 3 more let's call those A,B,C. When there's no current going through the coil, A and B are connected (and C is not) When there is current through the coil A and C are connected (and B is not).

Relay 1: +12V and Alarm "-lock" to coil. One actuator wire to A. GND to B, +12V to C
Relay 2: +12V and Alarm "-unlock" to coil. The other actuator wire to A. GND to B, +12V to C

So if you look at this, the actuator will have GND, GND on both sides most of the time (does nothing). When -lock is activated by the alarm, one wire goes +, and the other wire stays GND and the actuator locks (if connected correctly). Same thing for unlock, except the polarity is reversed.

Radu