Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Painting Dash/interior

Old 02-20-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, well im new here and i may get some bashing for some newb questions. I've done quite a bit of research and found quite a bit on removing the dash and everything I want to paint. Although if anyone has a good tutorial or how-to I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Ok well i have an 01 tiburon and alot of the pieces in the interior i want to paint have almost a vinyl covering on them that came with it when i bought it. I wish i had a camera but i don't at the moment. It is like a black color with a grey almost box pattern on it. It is in several places, the window control covers, around the A/C controls etc.. I am curious what is underneath this but am hesitant to pull it off. It seems like maybe it was aftermarket but most likely not. Well so any suggestions on if i should remove this and paint these vinyl pieces as i know they make paint for vinyl, although i am not positive thats what it is. Or if anyone knows what i am talking about maybe they have dealt with this.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 PM

Pull it off, remove any sticky residue with goo gone or equivalent, sand down dash, paint. There's plenty of DIYs on painting in the DIY section.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That's fake carbon fiber trim. It looks tacky in any car, therefore it must come off of any car. Now you're also painting so you don't want to be painting over something which can peel right off. Make sure you put alot of time into prep work. Spend at least 6 hours hand sanding and getting it black and flat.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 PM

Yeah i figured i should just rip it off. Alright well I will check out some DIY's. Any recommendations on what kind of paint to get?? I was looking at duplicolor but they have so many different kinds. And is there really going to be a noticeable difference if i spray paint as oppose to using a air sprayer. I have a friend who has a paint booth but to be honest i kind of want to do this myself because i want to get into doing the mods on my car.