Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Motorized Trunk Cover?

Old 05-25-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I know this is either going to sound ok to some of you, or absolutely ridiculous to all of you, so here goes.

I have an amp with light effects built in, and it looks pretty awesome, and I'd like it to be seen when I drive, but since I don't have an alarm yet, my best alternative is a cargo cover, which I'm in the process of buying as we speak. However, it's still pretty obvious that I'm trying to hide it if I drive up and my hatch is lit up blue and I have to open the trunk and close the cover, not that there's much crime around here, but y'know.

So the other day, I was brainstorming with my friend and he says, "What if you got a sunroof motor from a totaled car, and made a motorized cover?"

I thought he was nuts at first, but then it sounded pretty cool. I've already taken out my trunk light, so I could use the wires from that, and would just need to make a switch similar to the regular one for the sunroof. I know someone who works at a salvage yard, so he could probably get me a good deal on a motor, if not free.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea as to how this could be done, or if you all think I'm absolutely retarded for coming up with all these really stupid and ricey ideas.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Why does everyone keep saying rice like it's a bad thing? I like the idea. If/When your able to do it let us in on the details. I think it might be hard to put it in without having to butcher a lot of shtuff though.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:44 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I like that idea.

Think also about power window motor.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:45 PM

QUOTE (tiburonmoo @ May 25 2005, 07:39 PM)
Why does everyone keep saying rice like it's a bad thing?

Oh man, that REALLY needs to go into someone's Sig.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:57 PM

If I was going to do this.. I would hinge it at the seat backs and use the motor to raise and lower it from there. When you are driving, the cover can lower and sit flush against the backs of the seats.. but when you shut the car off, it rises up to keep prying eyes from looking in.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Dmitry @ May 25 2005, 01:44 PM)
I like that idea.

Think also about power window motor.

I'd considered that too... I guess I could either use one that rolls up, and roll/unroll it to open and close, or maybe one that kinda rolls downward, not unlike a garage door, if anyone can invision that.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

sounds like a really cool idea but sounds tough. let us know if you do it and im sure people on here can help you out if u need it. and rice isnt bad as long as the person driving it likes it.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:03 AM

The easiest way would be to get a linear actuator. Search google, lots of information for car use. Expect to spend $50-100. I wanted to put one in place of a hatch support, but did some calculating and it would have taken at least ten seconds to raise fully with the way I wanted to mount it. I'm not that patient.

The cheap way is to scavenge a power antenna from a salvage yard. Simple on/off motor in an easy to install package. Use the antenna to push the cover up and down. You will have to open it up and modify the antenna to get it to go up only the desired amount.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:20 PM

actuator is the best way. but what i would do is try to make some kind of a roll but then you couldn't use the actuator. you'd have to use a power windown motor with limit switches or power ant.