Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Microsoft + Hyundai/kia = Infortainment!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

We really need to get a RSS reader posting Hyundai related articles in here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/04/hyundai...-infortainment/

Ford won't be the only automaker in the U.S. to have Microsoft technology underhood for long, as Hyundai has hooked up with the software giant on new infotainment technology partnership. The first new jointly produced system will provide voice-controlled connectivity between mobile devices for Hyundai and Kia vehicles beginning in 2010. Microsoft will also work with Korea's Institute for IT Advancement to open an Automotive IT Innovation Centre in Seoul. The Korean auto giant will partner with Microsoft on auto telecommunication, telematics, navigation systems, and improving Human Machine Interface technology.

Recent developments in automotive technology show that infotainment tech like Ford's SYNC and BMW's in-car Internet systems are hot. Microsoft appears to be capitalizing on the new trend by netting a second automotive partner, while Hyundai gets the new interactive tech that customers are craving. If its cars are anything to go by, Hyundai's version of the technology will probably cost less and do more.

[Source: Hyundai]

PRESS RELEASE:

Following the agreement between Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group (HKAG) and Microsoft Corp. to develop the next generation of in-car infotainment systems, both companies have joined forces with Korea's Institute for IT Advancement to open a dedicated Automotive IT Innovation Centre (AIIC).

The AIIC will be located within HKAG's new research facilities in Uiwang City, south of Seoul. HKAG and Microsoft will use the AIIC to develop new technology such as auto telecommunication, telematics, navigation systems and Location Based Service (LBS), and improving Human Machine Interface (HMI), all of which will be uncovered in the near future.

The first product, developed at the new centre, will provide voice-controlled connectivity between mobile devices, and will be launched into the North American Market in 2010, soon followed by the Asian and European Markets. The infotainment systems will allow consumers to enjoy music in various digital formats.

Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft said of the collaboration with HKAG; "Microsoft and Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group share a similar vision for the role that information technology will play in connecting people to information, communications, and entertainment while they are in their cars.

"We're excited by the opportunities this new Automotive IT Innovation Centre will create for Microsoft, Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group, and Institute for Information Technology to continue to work together to develop new innovations that will make the time that people spend in their cars more productive and enjoyable than ever before." he added.

Kia Motors has also announced that it is a global sponsor of RoboChamps 2008, Microsoft's virtual-world robotics competition. For more information on RoboChamps, please visit www.robochamps.com.

For now we will have to sit tight, and wait patiently until the next generation of in-car infotainment systems are launched!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I remember this from a while ago. Then they were saying it would be the same as the ford sync. Should be pretty cool though.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Originally posted May 6 by MAJIK - http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...aker+grill+halo
(more posted at original thread)

"Microsoft is expected to announce Tuesday in Seoul, South Korea, that it will develop a version of its Microsoft Auto software for the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group, the world’s fifth-largest automaker.

Microsoft already has a deal with the Ford Motor Company for its Sync system, which uses voice activation technology to operate cellphones and play digital music.

With both Ford and Hyundai as customers, Microsoft’s software could potentially be put into more than eight million vehicles worldwide each year. Its competitors include OnStar from General Motors, Johnson Controls and QNX Software Systems from Harman International.

Systems based on Microsoft Auto are available in Fiat Group vehicles in Europe and South America, as well as in 12 Ford models in North America.

Microsoft Auto will first appear in Hyundai vehicles in North America in 2010, said Martin Thall, general manager of Microsoft’s automotive business unit. Subsequent versions will give drivers voice control over navigation systems and video entertainment, in addition to cellphones and digital music players."
Old 11-07-2008, 04:47 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That whole SYNC project sound like a bad idea. Any two other companies... I mean, 2 companies with a horrible reputation for reliability of their product? Found Dead On Road with a Blue Screen Of Death.

That sounds like a bad public relations move for Hyundai. It may be better for them to go with a Linux or dare I say Mac interface. The Linux OS would call to the inner hacker in some people and the businessman in others. As long as it dosn't say powered by Windows when I turn on my next car, I'll be alright.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

What I would love to see is Hyundai drop Microsoft and partner with Google and Sprint to develop a WiMAX interface that will allow for broadband wireless internet access inside the vehicle, and 'white space' receptors so you can beam the MP3s from your computer to the 40GB hard drive in the Hyundai in your garage. Now THAT would be a major step up!!!

Having WiMAX in the car would allow you to always find the cheapest gas prices nearby (GasBuddy.com FTW!) and always have an updated GPS system (screw Garmin and TomTom). It would also allow you to receive instant traffic updates through Google Maps and you could listen to internet radio stations (forget about your Sirius or XM subscription). Hell, forget about any radio if you're beaming your MP3 library to your car via White Space!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yeah, I don't think they want to get too carrier specific though, I think sprint blows. Around here the signal is weak. What I'd want is a way to plugin a sim card and go or connect to your bluetooth phone. Microsoft has the capability to do these things already. I love linux as much as the next tech. But it's just not user friendly (it could be made so but then the support for EVERY device won't be there) but in a solid state environment with embedded windows you're not going to see any errors anyways.