Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Light show

Old 03-23-2003, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light show

I just finished my neon project by installing 1 15" tube under the dash on each side.I wired them so they turn on with my parking/headlights.Here are a few pics

Old 03-23-2003, 10:43 AM

two things...neon got old....and why two differnt colors.

Drew
Old 03-23-2003, 11:02 AM

Looks nice, I bet your camera is not doing the color justice. Could you take a pic of where you mounted them and where you wired them to??

Thanks!!
Old 03-23-2003, 11:28 AM

Yeah so where the heck did u put it on the drivers side? There is next to no room under there.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:53 AM

Where did you get the metal floor mats.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:01 AM

Neon is not old for me!! This is the first car that I've done this much with it.The reason I have 2 different colors:
(a) Cause it's different,and
(cool.gif If you have ever been in the Navy or Air Force,you'd know that red symbolizes port and green symbolizes starboard.I don't like green so I went with blue.

There is plenty of room under the dash on both sides of a 2k Tiburon.

As for wiring,I used a relay.The continous 12v and ground for the relay comes from the supply to the cigarette lighter.The switched 12v for the relay comes from the wire that is supposed to light up the ring around the lighter.This is what gives power when the headlights are turned on.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:55 PM

MADTIB,

I am interested in what type of neon you used. I happened to be in both Wal-Mart and Autozone today and all of their neons hooked to the cig lighter. I like the idea of the neons as I want to light my whole interior up red.

Where did you get your neons from?? Also, did you hook them up to a toggle switch, or are they always on? I plan on wiring mine to a toggle switch.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:59 AM

u can just buy those neons, cut of the adapter, and wire them like that, just make sure source is to source, and ground to ground. if you're not sure which is which, trial and error usually won't hurt the neon.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:09 AM

Cool, I thought about doing that but I never actually looked inside to see if there were resistors that need to be used and what not. As far as source, I should be able to tell if I actually open the adapter up.
I want more light in my car, but I'm not sure neons are the way to go. Ideally I would like more light to be available in the back seat so you can actually see things back there. Neons would work, I'm just not sure if I need the "show" of neons.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:28 AM

Thanx for the replies every one!!

Like DJ NOGO said, I cut the 12v recepticle off.The ones I have use clear plastic for the plug, so I was able to see which wire was connected to the center pin.This of course is the 'hot' lead,or +12v.The other is ground.You can also use an ohm meter to figure out which wire is connected to the pin on the plug.I got my 15" neon tubes,and neon string lights from Advanced Autoparts.These are the guys that took over Trak Auto.

As I said before............I connected the tubes so that they turn on and off from the factory headlight switch.I choose to do it like this because:
(a) It was easy,and
(cool.gif Why have them on during the day???? You can only see them at night,so may as well turn on/off with the headlights.

If ya'll want, I could draw a detailed diagram of how to hook this up electrically.Oh........no resistors are needed!!! Not unless you feel the lights are too bright and you want to knock'em down a bit.