Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Keep blowing fuses

Old 05-13-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep blowing the 10amp radio fuse by my clutch pedal. It would blow intermitently(sp?) and id just replace it. Well as soon as I replace it and try to power on the radio it blows right away. Electrical problems are a PITA, i know this but I jsut dont know where to start
Old 05-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

pull your radio out, check to make sure all wires are taped and nothing is exposed. You're getting a short somewhere. Make sure no bare wires are touching metal. What else does the fuse control, anything?

I got aftermarket fog lights and rigged them up to work with my factory switch. One of the wires came undone and started dragging the ground. When I would turn my headlights on, they'd be fine, but as soon as I moved the car BAM, blown fuse... the wire would run across the ground, spark, and blow the fuse. I went through 5 fuses before I realized the wire had come undone and was dragging the ground.

So my guess is you have an exposed wire somewhere that's blowing the fuse. Pull the head unit and check where the wiring harness is soldered and make sure it's all taped up with electrical tape. I'm guessing it's somewhere in there. Also, check to see what else may be controled by the fuse. With my foglight, it blew my drivers side headlight, taillight, sunroof, and I believe all interior lights.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:18 PM

yeah i pulled the radio and checked all the wires. What else is connected to that fuse? I have pulled my factory cigarette lighter out and put a switch there that controls my angel eyes. Hmmm

That wasnt it.. the fuse says "audio / key interlock". whatever that means.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:15 PM

I figured it out! its my line wire that turns on my amps... Against what electronics told me to do I put a big hog daddy 30amp fuse in to see if I could get the radio on and i did! but wait.. my amps didnt come on.. So I turned the power off... disconnected the line wire behind my radio put in a 10amp fuse back in.. Turn it on.. and what do ya know... radio works and the fuse didnt blow.. I guess I'll go run a new line wire right quick smile.gif
Old 05-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Administrator

glad you figured it out, but I'm not sure what you're talking about...
you're running those Diamond subs with a 30amp fuse? Hell, I've got a 60amp fuse for my little 300w audiobahn 10's lol.gif

I'm confused on what was causing the problem... the 30amp fuse was along the audio power wire coming from battery, right? how did that blow the 10amp fuse?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:52 PM

no i shoved a 30 amp in the fuse box by the clutch pedal when a 10 was supposed to be in there. anyways which wire going to the harness is the line wire.. i cant remember
Old 05-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Administrator

not sure... I've got them color coded wink.gif mine's the skinny blue one I believe

I'm glad you told me that... I had considered putting a 15amp where the 10amp belongs...
Old 05-13-2004, 07:50 PM

The only reason you'd keep blowing the 10A fuse is if either you have a short,or the hu you have is normally pulling more then 10A.You should look at the owners manual for the hu you are using and see what the fuse value is.Or,pull the hu and look at the value.If it's 10A on the hu, then you have a problem,and putting a larger value in is only going to cause you big problems.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:52 PM

its the line wire to the amps... ive figured it out already =P
Old 05-13-2004, 08:47 PM

Okay.But I'm still curious.....................how would the power cable from the battery to the amps cause the fuse for the hu to blow?? I must not be understanding.