Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Interior shine

Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tib I4
Default Interior shine

Do all interior shine products create a glare or is there something I can get that has some shine to it but wont blind me if the sun hits the dashboard a certain way? I’ve used armor all mostly in the past. Its great for the door panels and center console, but messes with my eyes from the sun if I put it on the dash.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Sorry, but how do you expect to use a "shine" product and not get glare?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^^

Glare is technically a "specular highlight". These highlights are caused by a light source bouncing off a relatively shiny object (dash with a shine, bald head, polished wood, etc). Because they're not perfectly shiny, they don't have as defined of an edge to them, so the specular highlight is spread around a bit more. This causes the "glare" to be larger.

Specular highlights are inevitable with any sort of surface (some are just brighter and bigger depending on the sheen and the apparent size and intensity of the light source.

I use Black Magic (Autuzone, $6) matte finish interior protectant; they also make a glossy one that works well if you're going for a higher shine. Just wipe everything down with a microfiber afterwards so you don't leave any greasy residue.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Just some basic armorall does me fine. I'm more concerned about preserving and oiling the plastic than about how shiny it is.