Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Interior Painting...

Old 11-03-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK! Dont start yelling at me that this was discussed before! I did the search, found the threads, but theres just too many of them and the ones ive read didnt have the asnwer im looking for.

Well first, ive got a white car, red stereo head unit, red interior neons..i was thinking about painting my dash and the drivers door from that dark silver to say dark red almost brownish..Or would it be better to go black?

Now the big question is...how do u paint the dash? Ive read it and i see some ppl dont do it right the first time and then have problems with it..Should i try scrubbing the paint off with sand paper first? or leave it as it is?

The colour i want is sorta, shiny it looks deeper than just flat normal paint, like it would have another layer of some shiny stuff sprayed on it..

What would be the steps that i should follow and what paint i should use to achieve that shiny affect?

Thanks, and sorry if im reposting the exact same question, but i srsly didnt find specific answers to these questions sad.gif
Old 11-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

I'm pretty sure Driving Tib Naked just discussed this in some detail within the last few weeks. Do a search for his posts with the keyword dash or paint from about one month ago.

Question though... why is your dash silver? Mine is black.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:28 PM

Oh damn...how did i miss that one...ill have a read if i can dig it up....(hopefully)

Well i dunno if its really black..the whole interior is black but the dash is different colour..It should be the same as urs..Ill post up some pics..

Old 11-03-2006, 05:33 PM

Dude, we can swap our interior panels if you like: I'll take yours & you can have my crappy textured black ones wink1.gif That looks pretty sweet. I'd leave it that colour fing02.gif

Here's an old pic of my interior but you can see it's not the same colour at all...

Old 11-03-2006, 05:36 PM

EDIT: Oh u posted up the pic =DD yeah urs is even worse than my haha laugh.gif

And i couldnt finr that thread by DrivingTibNaked..Unless im really blind laugh.gif
Old 11-03-2006, 05:42 PM

^ You suck mate...

Here's what DTN wrote: "To paint... sand down textured surfaces flat with 200 grit. sand down EVERY surface with 400 until you see black and smooth surfaces. Then sand with 800 grit until it almost shines. You then use paint prep/adhesion promoter on the plastic then a can of your favorite paint (and everything else mentioned in this post) from your favorite auto parts store, following directions, then use a can of clear coat for the shine.

Wait 3 days, use rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then wax.

If you do it right it can look like a professional job. Total cost ~$40-100 including supplies depending on how much paint you use and if you paint the door panels, kick panels and all the rest".
Old 11-03-2006, 06:06 PM

Ok..was he the original creater of the thread? If not thats y i didnt find it..so i do suck lol...im currently shaped to 64kbps so i cant go thru every single thread looking for it..

And anyway..im prob too lasy to the job like that...it seems to take a long time and the dash cannot be used untill its finished so i would have to drive without it laugh.gif

"rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then wax" i didnt get this part sad.gif is there some sorta stuff for the dash or wat? =S
Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 PM

^It's the same sort of stuff you'd use on the painted surfaces on the outside of your car.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:16 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The cool thing about being me is that I don't have to use quotes to quote myself.
To paint... sand down textured surfaces flat with 200 grit. sand down EVERY surface with 400 until you see black and smooth surfaces. Then sand with 800 grit until it almost shines. You then use paint prep/adhesion promoter on the plastic then a can of your favorite paint (and everything else mentioned in this post) from your favorite auto parts store, following directions, then use a can of clear coat for the shine.

Wait 3 days, use rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then wax.

If you do it right it can look like a professional job. Total cost ~$40-100 including supplies depending on how much paint you use and if you paint the door panels, kick panels and all the rest.

Takes alot of elbow grease. Be prepaired to sand for about 4-8 hours if you're doing all the front plastics. Also, use a wetsanding technique with the 800 grit. you want it to be completely even.

The rubbing compound, polishing compound and wax is just plain icing on the cake. You'll paint the surfaces and probly think it's alright.

When my dash gets dirty, i use water and a cloth to clean it, then i may polish it with wax, but it's not nescissary.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

lol, you have the super sought after graphite tannish dash that everyone wants. if i were you oz i would paint your panels and trade with him. wink1.gif

if you do paint just use a combination of the information on here and whatever it says on the instructions for the primer, basecoat, and clearcoat that you will buy.

before putting on the basecoat sand the surface with like 600-1000 grit. it should be as smooth as glass. any imperfections will magnify themselves in the paint.