Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

indiglo needles

Old 10-11-2001, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thanks Cthonian.
If you could take some pictures during the install that'd be great too.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:19 AM

HEY GUYS,... i have them
THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS
the whole needle will not light up like the ones on the site
THEY WILL LOOK NOTHING LIKE THAT
all you will get is a blue circle around the cluster
i think the needles were posted on an earlier post "light it up blue" i think
what was it random???
well you can see if its worth it,... what you might want to do is pull the needle and scratch the red part off and paint the corners blue,... that would look nice

one thing ive been wanting to do that i think might work,.. i know some LED's (which is what is going to be lighting up your needles) can actually illuminate glow in the dark products,... so ive been pondering whether or not painting the needle with a glow in the dark blue will light up
seriously ive taken my dash off soooo many times due to these needles,... im too exhausted to do it again,... but if any of you try it,... and it works
LET ME KNOW!!!
cause glow in the dark needles would be KILLER eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif
by the way,.... DO NOT PAINT THE SIDES OF THE NEEDLES,... THEY WILL NOT WORK LIKE THIS
good luck
youll need it

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: JAWS 021 ]
Old 10-12-2001, 07:45 AM

Yo Jaws,

Did you paint the gauge side of the needle (the underside) white like they said to or (it sounds like) did you leave the red paint on them?

AzNxSandMan,

Just got a new digicam... sounds like I have something to test it on, huh? wink.gif

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Majin Cthonian ]
Old 10-12-2001, 06:05 PM

this is why it was such a pain in the ass,.... i took of the red paint (which is required),... ive tried
painting the bottom white,... only bottom of needle was lit
painting the bottom blue,... lit up the whole needle but not bright at all
painting the bottom and sides white,... stupid needle got stuck to that black thing during the day,..lol
painting the bottom white and corners blue (which is where i stopped) looks nice during the day,... good mod to do even if you dont have the kit

i also cut a piece of the cluster to let more light in,... its real hard to explain,... but some crazy glue was used to hold certain things that could no longer support themselves,...
it was a pain
well since you have something to test it out on,... try glow in the dark blue,.... paint the bottom that color,... if that works then
ALELUYA!!! ALELUYA!!!
lol
let me know how it turns out,... if you have any questions feel free to ask,... ive dealt and experimented with those needles so much its actually depressing,... out of all my mods those needles have been the biggest pain in the ass,... but hey
its unique, and thats what counts
Old 10-12-2001, 10:35 PM

Hey, Jaws,

So you painted the bottom white... w2hat did you use to paint it? I'm trying pearlescent (semi-transparent, with reflective flecks) white nail polish... what did you use? (I don't want to repeat the same thing if we know it won't work.
Old 10-13-2001, 07:42 AM

I can't believe the f*** up job my alarm people did!!!!! They stripped one of the upper dashboard screws... what a bunch of f****** amateurs! This is what I get for paying other people to do s*** for me! I just spent 2 hours nipping and chewing away at the tab that's permanently stuck to my crash pad with a pair of needle nose, because it was THE ONLY THAT FIT IN THE HOLE!!! It won't affect how the dash fits, but it's going to forver piss me off for hte next 35 times I'm going to have to take off my dash. Aarrrrrggh! sad.gif

Whoever was asking for pictures... sorry, my digicam is not working yet. I'm following Random's gauge install guide, it's working like a charm, and his pictures are excellent.

UPDATE: I've cleared the red paint off the needles by scraping, then sanding with a really fine grit sandpaper. I've got like 3-4 coats of polish on them now, and I held the spindle end onto an indiglo nightlight, and covered up everything else, except for the painted needle. It's not looking too bad. Not very bright, but not too bad. Needs more coats... I'm still losing light out the back. I don't think nail polish is the best idea... probably something acrylic and less "coating" than polish would be better. something more like an opaque metallic silver ink pen? dash dissection has been easy sor far. i disconnected the positive terminal, like random's gauge guide suggests, and no airbag light so far.

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: Majin Cthonian ]
Old 10-14-2001, 04:16 PM

to avoid the air bag light,... just disconnect the battery,... its the best way to avoid it
yes i did paint it with white nail polish
i painted the corners with a blue sharpie marker
i hope one of you try the glow in the dark idea,... im not sure if the LEDS are bright enough, but theres a chance
with nail polish, the needle should light about half way
thats it
too bad its not what they advertise sad.gif
oh well if any of you get a FULL colored needle,... gimme details
by the way,... im not sure if the metallic marker will work
i used a sharpie marker,...one coat not that bright
i used a glossy bright white,... didnt work
try not to put too much paint,... i realised that the more paint you put,... the less it will illuminate
by the way,... you might want to cut part of the bottom of the cluster so more light can get through
Old 10-14-2001, 04:52 PM

Would adding a brighter light under the gauges help illuminate the needles? The pictures they have on the website the needles look excellent. Has anyone tried emailing them and telling them what's up? Just a couple suggestions, I was thinking about getting those as well, and putting them over some Blue on Silver SR Gauges. smile.gif
Old 10-14-2001, 05:12 PM

i doubt brighter bulbs will work
the needles are being lit up by 1 or 3 LEDS,... these puppies are placed on an electric tape circle, this blocks ALL light which in return offers nothing but a limited light from the LEDs
Old 10-14-2001, 10:27 PM

I'm shipping these things back... I painted/repainted my needles like 50 times over the weekend and did testing over an indiglo nightlight to see how well it transmitted light. NOT WELL AT ALL. eek.gif Pass on the ImportIntelligence needles, guys. Not worth the trouble in my book.