Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Fuel needle problems...

Old 03-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated
Default Fuel needle problems...

I noticed a little something with my fuel needle (in the cluster), nothing major...just a nusiance.

I have gauge faces and tibby01's blue needles...

Every time I turn my car off the fuel needle goes back to empty (maybe I'm really dumb and it's supposed to do that but I never remember it doing so.)
If it is supposed to do that then this is the other problem I know is not normal:

When I start the car the needle takes FOREVER to rise to where it is supposed to be. I would have a full tank, start my car, drive 7-10 minutes and finally it would have made it back up to full.

I know this isn't right because I would remember something like this.
Do our fuel needles pop up to their accurate position when the car is started or do they just stay in place when the car is off or on?

I thought maybe the problem was I put the needle on too hard but I would have noticed it earlier (I installed the faces over 2 months ago and tibby01's needles a month ago).

Any ideas? Maybe an LED is interfering with the needle movement but it's not likely....( I would think the LED would make the needle stop if it was in the way, not slow it down.)
Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 PM

nope mine stays in the same place when you turn it off. Maybe its on too loose?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Thats an odd problem. Most cars now the needle goes to null when the car is turned of because its electronic unlike the tib. Mine stay at the same level.

Wait till the led master see's the post, he out of all people should know better about this problem.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:37 PM

yeah I probably shoulda just pm'ed chris about it. He is THE MASTER
He's helped me with the other two problems I had after installing the new LED gauges, a great guy...and does nice work!

Good point TC, I'll check the looseness tomorrow when I have time, maybe try to push it on a little harder.

It being too loose is the only reasonable explanation I can think of for the needle to slip back down to E after the car is off. That's probably why it takes so long for it to go back up to Full as well, because it's loose. hmmm, I put it on with the same pressure as all the others.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:42 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Make sure you don't push to hard.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Hrmm, the only thing I could think of is if you (or chris) did the LED work and put the temp motor in the gas spot and vice versa. Question: Does the temp guage stay in the same place when you turn the car off?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

casper's explanation is the only one that comes to mind. if you want, you can send them back to me anytime and i can switch them for ya. or you could give it a try if you want. i thought i made sure the right ones wee in the right places, but it is a possibility.

green motor should be on left, red should be on right. the little resistor looking things hanging off of each one should not be near each other. the motors shoudl be oriented so that both are facing "outwards" kind of.

with my tib, it does take a while for the gas gauge to get to full after i fill it, about the same amount of time as yours. it doesnt go back to zero though everytime i turn it off. thats why i think it is the wrong motor in the wrong place. they are the same thing, except for a little component that keeps one at the same level when the car is turned off.

hows everything else working?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:25 PM

I'll check it out tomorrow morning Chris.
thanks for the response.

As for everything else, excellent. thanks for your help. The speedo wasn't moving because of a rebel LED (lol) like you said. So I bent it back out of the way. All four still work (I didn't break it...). I got the illuminations problem fixed (blown fuse...simple). and...that's it.
They look sick. I love driving at night and getting looks. Thanks.

I'll let you know if the motors got switched tomorrow. check this thread...
Old 03-11-2005, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (Patreezy)
I'll check it out tomorrow morning Chris.
thanks for the response.

As for everything else, excellent. thanks for your help. The speedo wasn't moving because of a rebel LED (lol) like you said. So I bent it back out of the way. All four still work (I didn't break it...). I got the illuminations problem fixed (blown fuse...simple). and...that's it.
They look sick. I love driving at night and getting looks. Thanks.

I'll let you know if the motors got switched tomorrow. check this thread...

cool, as for the motors, do you notice the temp needle staying at warm even after the car has cooled off(like casper said)?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:32 PM

thanks for response chris.

I just went out and checked...
the temp. gauge needle is at zero (cold) when the car is off.

So they couldn't be switched. Tomorrow I'll take it out and look to be sure, like you said tibby.

QUOTE (tibby01)
they are the same thing, except for a little component that keeps one at the same level when the car is turned off.

hows everything else working?

does this little component ever break?
I haven't got a chance to get in there yet, but it may just be a loose needle.

as fas as everything else, excellent. Thanks for your help with that, the speedo needle didn't move because of a 'rebel' LED like ya said. I bent it out of the way and it moves freely now. All four of the LED's behind still work fine too.
The illuminations problem is fixed (just a blown fuse). I didn't know the fuse was in the engine bay though...but I figured it out, lol).