Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Fixing A Cracked Door Panel Insert

Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have any ideas on fixing a cracked door panel insert? Both driver and passenger side actually. Im planning to repaint the interior and rather than buying new pieces, i would like to try on fixing these ones.

The pics are the drivers side panel, the passenger crack isnt as bad.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Here is what I would do if that happened to me.

1. Remove the piece from the door.

2. get the crack lined up as best you and support them toogether with like pop sickle sticks and tape (basically make a splint for the crack) on the FINISHED side. make sure the parts wont move and are EXACTLY where you want them.

NOW flip the part over!

3. Get some fiberglass mesh and either some fiberglass resin, or I would use bondo-glass, it dries quickly like bondy, yet has some give to it so it wont crack when you are finished.

4. get some COARSE sand paper, 40 or 60, and on the back of the broken section, rough up the area. This will give the resin/bondo-glass something to bite onto.

5. put a thin layer of resin/bondo glass on the back side, then a few strips of the mesh, then more bondo glass or resin on top of that. Try to keep it as thin as possible so when you reinstall, the part will fit snug and smooth with the door

6. let that dry.

7. When its completely dry, remove the "splints" from the front (finished) side of the plastic panel. Fill in the crack with more resin or bondo-glass. Fill the crack entirely.

8. allow to dry.

9. now take 200-400 grit automotive sandpaper and sand the surface smooth. If you have bubbles or the crack is still risible, add more bondo-glass, dry, and re-sand.

10. that should do it. prime it and then repaint it.

my .02

Hope it gives you some ideas
Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Just so you know, it's annoying, but noone notices it except the you I had a retarded friend in the car who turned to yell out the window and broke my door in the same place. Noone notices it. I didn't even get gigged by a judge at a car show. It's really only noticable when you are looking for the problem or when you're using armor-all.