Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

F/g Enclosure For Trunk Corner

Old 11-02-2006, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

So, after reading about it for a long time I've decided to take the plunge into my first F/G project.

I didn't take any pictures until after I started it and finished the first layer inside the trunk, but the part missing in the pictures is just the taping off of the trunk corner. Don't let anyone fool you. Taping off the corner is no easy task. I used the blue painter's tape from 3M. I suggest that you have BOTH the wide and the thin roll.

I took out the spare tire and sat with my legs crossed in it. I'm 5'11" and not very much on the skinny side so it's very doable for you guys. It's a good thing I'm flexible.

Here are the supplies used.

A lot of times people forget to tell you to get Acetone to soak your brush in between resin batches. Otherwise you'll go through a ton of brushes. I got the Resin and Acetone at Autozone. The brush and little plastic bucket on the left were from Home Depot's Paint dept.

Here are the other supplies used.

Some 3M general use spray glue and the fiberglass mat cut into different sizes. I ended up with 3-4 different sizes. Take the spray glue and spray your tape then place the squares of fiberglass mat onto it to position them, larger ones first is how I did it. After doing that I mixed up some resin according to the can instructions and dabbed them/brushed them with resin. Don't over resin because it can make your enclosure more prone to warping from what everyone has said. Use enough resin to soak the fiberglass mat all the way through. Dab the resin first to avoid having your mat move on you. I added more mat as I went along resinning the mat that i glued to the tape.

Here is where I'm at now.

I'm off to get that blue tape off. In case your wondering. That spray glue shouldn't hinder me too much because the resin would have release the mat from the glue and it in itself is much stronger glue than the spray glue. So, the spray glue doesn't make a difference.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:04 AM

Vehicle: 2000

looks like a good start. I have done the same thing to my trunk. its alot of work but worth it in the end.

good luck
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Thanks!

Have any tips?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:46 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

speaker mount?

Did u get the ring done? Your FG looks great mang!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:55 AM

instead of using tape, next time use aluminum foil. its alot easier and faster.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:12 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

^^good advice never thought of that
Old 11-02-2006, 09:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yeah, and plus resin can soak through tape sometimes and leave an unfixable mess of carpet on the other side. also it covers a lot larger area than strips of tape and wont take as long.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:32 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

still gotta use tape. the foil would be a bigger problem with tearing then the tape soaking through. The resin does not soak through tape. I know because that's the way i did it last time. I put down tape, then foil and it took alot of the tape with it because the resin soaked through the cracks in the foil. The first one i did, just used tape and it was kinda hard to get out, but it wasn't that bad becasue the FG flexes.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 PM

The best combonation for your FG experiance would be Duct Tape and aluminum foil or surran wrap because the resin will not stick to any three of these materials. Your going to want to put a sollid structure to put your speaker in (i.e. a box) because the FG itself will not withstand strong vibration forever. Take a small cardboard box and soak it in resin thus making it hard as concrete then you can FG over it and install your speaker giving you MUCH better sound and ALOT stronger structure for your speaker.