Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Ebay gauge installation

Old 06-28-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there have been a few topics on this but none about actual installation. The jerk at Ebay didn't send instructions meaning I have no idea what to do. There is a little box with wires coming out of it. WTF is that for? Can't I just use the stock wires? There's a swtich that says on and off. Why do I need that? Isn't it supposed to be wired into the parking lights? Any help would be greately appreciated because I am clueless.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Ebay gauge installation

gauges? as in replacing Speedometer, tach, etc?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:06 PM

That's correct. The speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, etc. are all conntected to wires and such.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Give us a link to the gauge faces you've got.

I never did a DIY because there were 2 good ones out there.

Looks like they are both gone now.

f***in TSR>
Old 06-29-2004, 06:43 AM

Here it is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW
Old 06-29-2004, 09:19 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, go to Webtech's site and you can find all the info and pictures on how to dissasemble the dash and install these. Wiring, obviously, isn't going to be in there, that's an issue you'll have to do yourself. It's not hard.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

im guessing you have an rd1? if you have a rd2, then the gauges will not line up correctly. yeah, use webtech to get the cluster out. then check out my glow needle DIY to get the cluster opened.

honestly, i would pop the needles off. it makes it a lot easier, and it really isnt hard to recalibrate them. if you want, you might be able to slide the new faces right over the old ones, and bend them a bit so that you can get them on without taking the needles off. i think the fuel needle is the only one that wont return to its original position if you move it, so make sure you put a light mark somewhere to show you where it belongs. once you get the new faces on(lay them over the old ones) i would maybe put little peices of THIN double stick tape down to hold them to the old faces(make sure you dont cover up any transparent "windows" though). then you will have to find a place to run the wires out. i just make a little notch somewhere at the top.

the little black box is a transformer, in heat sink. the electro-luminescent (EL) paint needs a super high voltage run through it to light up, and thats what the transformer does.

the wires coming out with connectors on the are obviously for the faces, since the connectors match up. the switch will control on and off, but you can wire it to something that comes on with the headlights, and just leave the switch on. i wired it to my dimmer switch. you need to connect the red wire to the green/white wire coming off the dimmer switch, and the black one to the black wire.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:23 PM

I got the feeling that you bought the same ones I did. You should actually be able to carfefully slide them over the needles, but before you do I suggest you put some double-sided tape on them, otherwise your needles will get stuck in certain places. And Like the guys here told me " disconnect your battery if you need to remove the whole cluster or your airbag light will stay on. Other than that it is easy...
Old 06-29-2004, 08:59 PM

I got the cluster in my lap as I type. I put the needles back on but the tachometer and speedometer don't retract all the way back to zero. I used double sided tape so they're not sticking.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

take the needles off and put them on at zero. it doesnt matter though, you will have to re-adjust everything once you get the thing in your car.