Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Double din installation

Old 06-05-2004, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Tiburon and am trying to install two din size units(DVD player and indash monitor) into the stock 4 inch stereo opening. Has anyone done this and is there an installation kit somewhere that I can purchase or do I have to fabricate something myself? Thanks, Victor.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Welcome to the site, I've got some pics of it done, but you are right, you'll have to hack up your stereo surround a bit to get them to fit. Just take your time and a tiny bit of plastic at a time.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

get a dremel, or a soldering gun with a hot knife attachment. you know they do make DIN sized dvd/ monitor all in one units correct?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:36 PM

I haven't had the dash apart yet so I guess I'll find out what kind of carving I have to do as I go. I just thought that maybe someone had been able to use an aftermarket double din mounting kit. As far as the combo units go, if I had the money that's the way I would go, much simpler, but the single combo units are three to five times as expensive, and I simply cannot afford that. Thanks for the info. Victor.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:34 PM

The problem is not mounts, its that two DIN sized units stacked are slightly larger than a double DIN opening. Making it fit without the surround on isn't that hard, but like REDZWOMAN said, you'll have to cut some of the radio surround out to make it fit. So, with the radio surround off, you should be able to mount them in the OEM opening with no problems, but you'll hafta hack your surround a little in order for it to fit back on. Use carboard cutouts to practice with first before you go cutting the surround.