Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Door Panel Mods!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok for a while now I wanted speakers where the air vents are in the door panels.
The other night boredom got the best of me and I started on it.

I had to find a way that I wouldn't block my heat so I made a new vent tube inside the door panel.
Now all the hot air comes out of the defrost on the top of the door leaving me a nice spot to mount my speakers where the air vent used to be.

Some plastic, a heat gun, and epoxy and I came up with this:

Building:

Finished:

While I was at it I got some cheap ($9) trunk replacement carpet at walmart and lined the doors with it to help keep noise down.

I will also be applying sound dampening to the doors and installing these subs in the factory location.

I am still working on the drivers side door panel and waiting for warmer weather to do the sound dampening and sub install in the doors. Hopefully in a week or 2.

In case you are interested I got the subs from Parts Express they are on sale right now for almost half price.

I plan on doing some led work in the doors as well something with a Hyundai or Tiburon logo where the map pockets are, The door handle led mod, and some kind of lighting on the bottom of the door.

If anyone can tell me an easy way to get power to these so they come on when the door opens let me know. I have no problem wiring it but if there is a quick and easy way thats even better.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

For power with door open theres a switch by the door that may work. Otherwise the interior lights you could tap into.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

those subs are perfect (and u cant beat $30), i would do this same thing with mids under the dash and in the vents (along with a center would make kickass surround sound) if i had the money.
the ducting u made seems like alot of work, just modifying the stock ducting might have been faster...
the red door panel light bulb is 12v incandecent, i would say run the led's from that so the wiring is all inside the door panel.(then u have the button by the sunroof to have it some on with the doors or not) fing02.gif
Old 04-01-2008, 08:20 PM

I was wondering if the wires for the oem light on the door are there couldn't I use them for power?

I don't have those lights so I'm not sure if the wires are there or not.

Would it be the wires for the door lamp in this diagram?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

http://raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

I -highly- recommend their products for your sound deadening. I run it in my own car.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:43 AM

^^ I have seen that before and read good stuff about them. I might just have to pick up a roll.
How much did you use in the tib?

the ducting u made seems like alot of work, just modifying the stock ducting might have been faster...

I thought about using the factory stuff but it wouldn't flow air well and since I was puting a speaker in there I wanted to have as much room as possible.

Besides the fact that the material was free I also wanted to try and be able to return the car to stock if I had to.

I also needed a project to kill the time lol.

I did encounter one setback the speakers I was puting in are out of stock untill June mad.gif

I am considering a bigger speaker though but I have to figure out how to get it there without modding the door panel.

Maybe if I could find spare panels I would think about some fiberglassing some in.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

interesting, looks like quality work bud. fing02.gif
Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 AM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

good point, im always worried modifying stock parts...(the new ducting looks like it flows well at least)

i have a sound deadening review with specs bookmarked at home, imm edit this post with the link
when i get to it.

i dont see anything wrong with tapping into ur door lamp wiring, should be yellow/black for + and black/white for -

is it the cheapo $30 speakers u linked to out of stock or midrange? (are u going to choose another brand or what...?
are you door panels back together yet, pics?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

that seems like way more work then what i did but maybe it will be cleaner then mine

i just attached them with speed nuts and the screws that came with my speakers. but that location is THE SINGLE BEST LOCATION for directing sound at passengers because its point directly at them and has the proper distance between the source and your ears

Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM

^^ What did you do with your air vent?

My goal is to not see any mounting hardware or anything from the front of the panel just the speaker cone where the vent should be.

Although that is whats making it harder to do.

Yeah it was the midrange that was out of stock so right now the door panels will just have a hole there untill they are available again. Other than that they look stock for now.

The only reason I need to use those speakers is because they don't take up alot of room, there are other 3.5" speakers but the magnets are all too big.