Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

dash woes

Old 05-16-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Updated my cardomain - ICE updated, exterior update

Earlier this week I installed new gauge faces. They were wired up and worked alright. Then today I go back in the dash to get my speedo needle recalibrated. For some reason I went crazy thought I'd pud LED's behind my needles. So I unhooked the neg side of the battery and popped the gauges out.

Nope, changed my mind put the gauges back in and rewired my gauge faces. They were wired to the FrontFog fuse. I tried to get power right behind the dash dimmer switch, but I hooked it up backwards and the gauges lit when my lights were OFF and vice versa.

SO I switched it around but now none of my dash lights turn on, my fog lights don't turn on, and i get an Air Bag Light. I know I can get that reset, but what about my dash and fog lights? I checked my fuses and everything seems to be good. I'd hate to take her to a dealer, but this doesn't make sense.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default dash woes

wait, they were wired to the front fog fuse, and you tried to get power from the dimmer switch? clarify please and i can help. ive had to fix LOTS of problems with my illuminations.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:48 PM

right now my dash is in pieces, i put in some led's to change the color... oh god i hope everything works after. dash = PITA!
Old 05-16-2004, 08:23 PM

I've done this before! Did you plug the harness that goes into the dimmer switch back in? And also the harness that goes in to the Hazard button? Those need to be plugged in for the headlights/signals to all work.

That one bugged me for a couple hours when I took apart my dash! I was like, WTF!?
Old 05-16-2004, 10:47 PM

ok guys here's the deal. I've been in the dash a couple times before, but here's what happened.

I had the power lead for the gauges hooked to the front fog fuse under the hood, and they were grounded to another point under the hood. Everything worked...Then i took the power lead off the front fog fuse and ran it to the dimmer switch. There were 2 white wires going to that harness, so i tapped into one of those. At first the gauges would come on when the lights were off, and were off when the lights were on.. So i chose the other lead, things seemed to work, but these gauges also had a switch on them. The switch was making the gauges come on only after turning the lights on and then off again., so i cut the switch off and taped those wires together to close the circuit.

When tapping that other white wire from the harness, none of the dash lights would work. e.g. behind the needles, behind the temp controls, fog lights, and the window switch lights. all would not come on.

I wired things back to the front fog fuse. Now the gauges work, but none of the lights behind them, and finally the air bag light came on...Is there some kinda fuse behind the dash or something, or is there just something I missed? I'm pretty sure all the connections behind the dash are good, but i'll double check them soon.

oh yeah, and the clock works, so do the green led's on the a/c button on recirculation button. My headlights work, so do my turn signals
Old 05-16-2004, 10:53 PM

Check your fuses if what I suggested didn't do it for you. There's a fusebox by the driver's side pedals. You can also check the fusebox under the hood on the driver's side.

Also, I don't remember what wire I tapped into for my gauges, but I would NOT recommend the dimmer switch, because then your gauges would be regulated by the dimmer switch in addition to the existing switch for the gauges. I believe I tapped into a Green-Black wire and something else, but I can't remember. Think logically though. Find wires that go to things that only turn on when you turn on your lights. I'm not electrical genius and I figured it out within 20 min.

Good luck and if all else fails, there's always HMA Webtech. http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/
Old 05-17-2004, 09:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

your clock and green leds work because they are not on the illuminations circuit. make sure you have the dimmer switch plugged in when you try to turn things on. do the power window illuminations, and cig. lighter illuminations come on? if they do, and none of the other nightime illuminations come on, then it is prolly a problem with the dimmer switch. i would try bypassing the dimmer switch, by going from the green/white wire, straight to the ground wire. i cant remember which is which, but try that power wire first. if its not the right one, you'll blow your left tail lamp fuse, because that controls illuminations. im pretty sure its the green/white one though, and not the green/black one.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't check those fuses under the hood all the way. I checked some more during my lunch break and found the 10-(A) fuse for T/LP (LH) blown. I replaced that and my dash and other lights came back on.

*tibby01*
I guess that's the wire I hit, 'cause i blew that fuse.