Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Car Alarm

Old 10-08-2003, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I am wanting to get a car alarm for my 1999 Tiburon. I would like something that is expandable in the future, and something that has loads of features already. I would also need to get power door locks. I need the complete setup since my car does not have them at all. I was looking at http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm103100.htm , have any of you had any experience with them?
Old 10-08-2003, 06:43 AM

Just out of curosity... I know many of the electrical options on our cars were prewired (made installing driving lights REAL easy) and that power locks were an option... how hard would it be to install the stock power locks?

As for alarms.. a good point was brought up in HP.com Most thieves are familier with the mainstream alarms.. I would try and find an off beat alarm system that is reliable and upgradable.. but not what eveyone else has.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:38 AM

Thats why I was thinking of the Commando Alarms. I have never heard of them before.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have an AST alarm. Never heard of them but it has all the features of the Viper (can't remember which model tho). The Viper I was looking at was about $115 and this alarm was on sale for $75, and had all options as the viper but the Viper doesn't have the RemoteStarter option (and mine does).

To look at the models, go to http://www.ultrastarters.com/
you'll have the option to upgrade to Remote Starter later on. I'm happy with it. You can also add a trunk release feature I think, and it has a spring loaded sensor for if the hood opens when it's armed... and if it's armed and a key is inserted into the keyhole (or into the ignition) it will go off.

You set the sensitivity by pressing 2 buttons, then striking the car 3 times with the intensity you want the alarm to go off at. Mine's set really sensitive. It has silent arm/disarm and I haven't had any troubles with my remote starter since a year ago last July when it was installed. If you get a remote starter, get it done by a place that will warranty the installation and product. Circuit City intsalled a remote starter on 2 of my friends cars, and both cars burned out their ignition coils within 6 months. I've heard it happen frequently, so get it done right and pay a little more if necessary.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:40 PM

java go with a mainstream alarm. why your asking right? well for starters when you install it in a tibby you can put it in a place they will never get to. and your asking where this is right about now. well you drop the lower pannel under the steering wheel the is a metal brace there. take that off and mount it up and in there. they will never get to the brain of the alarm unless they brought some tools with them. if you go with a no name brand alarm who is to say it will last very long. there is a reason dei has been making alarms for many years. you just have to do it in a way that theif's can't get to the wires.

also java the alarm i got in the tibby is sweet. it will give the you the temp it's 2 way. it has so many features i'll probally never use them all.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I forgot to say that. Make sure the brain and the siren are separate. A good shop will install the brain in a hard to get to location. I had my alarm/starter installed at CarTronics in Nashville.

All of my electricals went haywire and my alarm started going off and I couldn't make it stop (wasn't due to anything on the alarm itself, it was my fault). Anyways, I was in a parking lot, going out to my car when the alarm started going off. I tried forever to get it to turn off but couldn't. I didn't have the tools to take it off the battery terminals, so I ran into the hardware store and grabbed some wrenches while the alarms going off. An employee at the hardware store was just leaving after his shift and saw my alarm going off so he came to help me. He actually used to install alarms at CarTronics and knew where they placed the brains and how to shut it off (pull the two fuses out of the brain). Well... even with him knowing how to get to the brain and where the fuses were, it took us 45 minutes to get to it (alarm was finally turned off and taken off battery terminals, but I wasn't able to start the car unless I pulled the fuses from the brain --- security feature). We finally got my car to start and everything fixed... but I was in that parking lot for almost 2 hours (1 hour trying to get the alarm disconnected from the battery, another 45 minutes just ripping the dash apart and getting under the steering wheel).

The guy used to actually install alarms at that place and it took him forever to get to the brain. He mentioned that the Tibs had a location that looked like it was made for mounting the brain and making it hard to access. So make sure you get an alarm where the brain is separate and not all one unit. My alarm/starter have a ton of features (set it to start a particular # of hours later, e.i., 8:00 when you leave for work... or have it automatically shut off if the key isn't inserted within 5 or 10 minutes of remote starting... to prevent running out of gas)... and with remote starters, you have to insert the key before you can do anything. If you touch the brake (to put it in gear) the car automatically shuts off. It's about as secure as it could be.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:57 PM

http://www.compustar.org/

Nuff said
laugh.gif
Old 10-09-2003, 09:40 PM

I install car stereo for a living and I like dei but it's not for a person on a low budget.if you go with the viper 790xv or the 791xv you ar looking around 600 bucks installed.if you do it you're self bought $180 .but I found this to be a good buy I downloaded the install manual and this is a alarm that gives you more bang for you're buck check it out .Java if you need a wire diagram for you're car i have the data base on my puter :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=14934
Old 10-10-2003, 09:16 AM

That would be cool djnevamind. I like that alarm system too!
Old 10-10-2003, 01:11 PM

IT seems like a pretty good offbrand alarm and the cool things about it I found that I like the most.Is its manual transmission remote start safe,4 car control,turbo timer,and it's a lcd paging system.