Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Can most radar detectors detect photo cops in the sky?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default Can most radar detectors detect photo cops in the sky?

I was wondering if most radar detectors can detect cops in the air who use photo radar to determine how fast you are going between a point a and point b?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, photo radar? I have no idea of a photo radar, I thought they eye-balled it in the air. I.e. some guy with a stop watch and watching the white lines. lol. Anyway, to answer your question a radar detector will pick up any motion detection system. This includes automatic doors or any radio/laser(if equip'ed) detection. Mine goes crazy around parking lots.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

You are correct Lazyshot, they actually do use stop watches from above and time you by the white stripes painted on the highway.

http://autos.aol.com/article/police-airplane-radar/
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Having spent some time in different styles of police cruisers I can tell you that radar detectors are not worth the money. Most cops just flip the switch off when they aren't point using the system on a current vehicle. In affect what happens is the radar detector will go off only if you or another car around you has be targeted. So if your the fastest your the one being targeted. If your slower you detector beeps and the cop doesn't care about you anyways.

Trust me cops laugh at radar detectors. They are a waste of money. Just my 2 cents but figured most people had spent enough time in a cruiser to know.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Haha, why would people have spent that much time in a cruiser? I've never been inside one at all.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Was trying to become a member of the law enforcement community. Still am trying I guess. Engineering isn't as fun as I expected.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Engineering sounds fun until you spend a month designing specifications for bolts on a bridge or w/e.

+1 eye witness for cops using their radar only when they are using it on somebody. But they don't necessarily laugh at them . . . it's a great source of additional revenue where the detectors are illegal and they can cut you a bonus ticket for having one!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

You expected engineering to be fun? That must have been a disappointment lol.

When the economy turns around enough that development gets going again around here I'll get back into it though more than likely.

Also, I've had a radar detector save my butt a few times, but the other side of that is if you get pulled over and have a radar detector you're almost guaranteed to get a speeding ticket. They are not likely to go easy on you.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I used to run a radar detector but it never caught the laser radar or lidar. Numerous times I have had the cop that was writing me a ticket make a comment on my radar detector. One time after the cop handed me the ticket he said "Your radar detector works real good doesn't it". I wanted to say something back so bad but decided not to since I planned on fighting the ticket in court. I stopped using the radar detector after that since I didn't want to buy one with working laser detection.