Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Brand New Overhead Lights Burnt Out....

Old 02-28-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that my drivers side overhead light was out so I decided to just get a replacement from Auto-zoned. I got a pack of 2 and replaced both map/overhead lights (I have a sunroof so its the kind with the sunglasses holder). They weren't in there for more than a day or so till they weren't working again...

This isn't a huge problem but its annoying as hell at night when I have to use the light from my cellphone to see shit, lmao.gif I need to fix this, but need to know where to start, I thought new bulbs would solve my problem but I guess not 02.gif
Old 03-01-2007, 03:53 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

never touch the glass portion of those bubls. it makes tem die quickly.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:04 AM

^^^ I used precautions so as not to touch the glass, so I dont believe its that...
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 AM

touching the glass is only a real issue with high wattage lamps.. and even then, it is not going to mysteriously make them die. What it does is leave oily residue on the glass that creates a hotspot. This hotspot can expand the glass by making it melt in that area.. which whill form a bubble that will eventually burst or form a pinhole leak. Trust me, lamp death by touching it quite noticible.

So I see three things that could be wrong here..

Bad lamps..

Bad fuse

loose lamps.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

If you replace the bulbs with a few LEDs you'll never have to change them again.... fing02.gif
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 AM

They may just be faulty. The filiment on a bulb like that is crazy small. Take them back & say they were defective
Old 03-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

well my overhead lights dont work at all. the bulbs are fine, the fuse is fine. and i had the overhead assymble replaced before my 60k warrenty was over. now here at 96k its broken agin. i just dont know what do to other then carry a flashlight with me
Old 03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Mar 1 2007, 09:53 AM)
touching the glass is only a real issue with high wattage lamps.. and even then, it is not going to mysteriously make them die. What it does is leave oily residue on the glass that creates a hotspot. This hotspot can expand the glass by making it melt in that area.. which whill form a bubble that will eventually burst or form a pinhole leak. Trust me, lamp death by touching it quite noticible.

So I see three things that could be wrong here..

Bad lamps..

Bad fuse

loose lamps.

Neg batman. It builds up heat, but the problem is there's no heat sensor to realize that. It makes the filiment too hot because there's no place to radiate heat and then the bulb burns out. I don't know what kind of bulb you've been dealing with, I've never seen that. I deal with small bulbs quite frequenly though. Any bulb you add a hotspot to, will not last as long as a bulb that is 100% clean and clear.

The fuse would not be an issue in this scenario. Bad bulbs is an option and loose connections can cause rapid cooling and heating on the bulb which will cause burnout as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 PM

Well, the fuse is good. I decided to try another set of bulbs (while making sure I don't touch or drop them, to eliminated that possibility). While taking out my driver side bulb, it magically came on... But I'm replacing both anyways with these new blue bulbs that were $3 at AutoZone... they look a lot better actually and they are currently both working now.. We'll see how it goes...

Pardon the crappy cellphone pics (Much better, lol):