Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Automatic Shifter-Knob Removal

Old 12-27-2001, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Shifter-Knob Removal

I got my brother a Ractive stainless steel shifter knob for his 96' accent for Christmas. His accent is an Automatic. We worked for about an hour trying to get the stock one off but then had to take off to various Christmas parties.

But anyways, we have removed the center console and yanked at the shifter, pulled it, twisted it, removed bolts, removed pins, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how the damn thing comes off!

I don't have a shop manual for it so I really have no idea where the "magic" button to pop it off is. I suspect there's something stupid that I am missing.

Can anybody help?

PS - He got me a blue leather knob for my 5-Speed accent. It was kinda' funny.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: 97Accent ]
Old 12-27-2001, 09:47 PM

Anybody at all??????

Old 12-28-2001, 12:59 AM

There are three screws that hold the shifter on, two on the panel facing the stereo, then another inside when you remove the panel. It should lift up to a point, then you have to cut the wires or remove the connector. Also check out www.hmaservice.com.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:07 AM

Thanks for the help cringe. I didn't know about that hmaservice.com site. It's got some good stuff on it. I am gonna' try and take the thing off again tonight.

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2001, 03:25 AM

How did this go?
Old 12-30-2001, 01:11 PM

No luck. There is only 1 screw on the side of the shifter facing the dash, and other than that, I don't see anything at all (no clips or simple things like that).

I checked hmaservice.com and they have tons of good stuff BUT nothing about the damn shifter!

Oh well, can you say "Sawsall?"

Hehe... who knows, maybe it will actually come to that.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:48 PM

Is the screw on the shifter in the middle of a little plastic plate? If so this plate is removable with the help of a flat head screwdriver. There are more screws under there. The other thing is look near the overdrive button if there is one for any screws, or a plate that may be lifted off with a flat head. Another issue that cae up with the auto-tib is the shift button. I had to jiggle it a little after removing the screw for it to pop out. Not sure what else to suggest, good luck!